Seamless mode breaks on Mint 18.3 guest after kernel update

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kudalufi
Level 2
Level 2

Seamless mode breaks on Mint 18.3 guest after kernel update

Post by Kudalufi »

I just installed a new kernel, suggested by Mint Update as a security release, and it breaks seamless mode. The Virtualbox additions are loaded and running, and they seem to perform other functions properly, but seamless mode no longer functions.

I am running Mint 18.3 and just upgraded from kernel 4.13.0-45 to 4.15.0-24, which is interesting because Mint has never offered a kernel of a different minor version as an update. Is this a prep kernel for Mint 19?

I reinstalled the virtualbox guest additions with the new kernel, thinking maybe there was some issue with that. The reinstallation occurred without a hitch, but seamless mode is still broken.

My plan is to update to Mint 19, but this makes me reluctant. Any advice on how to proceed?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kudalufi
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Seamless mode breaks on Mint 18.3 guest after kernel update

Post by Kudalufi »

Self-solved. Linux kernel 4.15 and versions of vbox prior to 5.2.8 do not interact nicely, it seems. Upgrading vbox corrected the problem.

Return to “Virtual Machines”