Washed out desktop background image in Mint 19 Virtualbox VM

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rockadile
Level 1
Level 1

Washed out desktop background image in Mint 19 Virtualbox VM

Post by rockadile »

I have been running Mint 18.3 on Virtualbox 5.2.8 for a while with no issues. After upgrading to Mint 19, the background image is washed out. It doesn't matter which image is selected. Right clicking on the desktop, selecting "Change desktop background image" and choosing a new image and then switching back fixes it. Additionally, the selected image also appears on the login page fine. Once I log in is when it becomes washed out. I have upgraded to Virtualbox 5.2.16 as well as upgrading guest additions but the issue still persists.
ajgringo619

Re: Washed out desktop background image in Mint 19 Virtualbox VM

Post by ajgringo619 »

What video driver are you using?
rockadile
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rockadile »

The virtualbox driver.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

rockadile wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:30 pm The virtualbox driver.
Sorry...I meant on the host OS.
rockadile
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rockadile »

I am on Windows 10 running both Intel's driver for the Intel HD GRaphics 530 and AMD's driver for the AMD FirePro W5130M.
windyweather
Level 3
Level 3

Me too.

Post by windyweather »

Count me too. I'm using Nvidia latest driver for GTX 1060 graphics in the Win 10 host.
When I first set the BG image, it's fine. Then if I reboot, it goes washed out and over exposed when system comes back up.
I assume this is what we are talking about.
[Systems include LM 20 in VirtualBox / Win 10 Host on AMD Ryzen 3800x / AsRock A300 Ryzen 3200G]
Mage of Maple
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mage of Maple »

I am experiencing this as well. Switching to a different background, waiting a second, and then switching back fixes it. Switch and switch back too quickly and it does not. This is a strange one ... I have not previously had this problem. (Not sure if it is caused by the update to Mint or an update to VB.)
rockadile
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rockadile »

Just to add more information, I just did a fresh install of Mint19 in VirtualBox and I am having the same issue so it does not appear to be related to the upgrade from 18 to 19 but Linux Mint 19 itself.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

This is really strange. I'm running Mint 19 XFCE as my main OS (in a VM; host is Windows 10 w/Nvidia GeForce 960), along with 7 other Linux OSes (Mint 19 Cinnamon/LMDE 3 Beta, CentOS 7, Fedora 28 XFCE/Gnome, Manjaro 17, Ubuntu 18.04), and I can't duplicate this error. Can anyone here install another Linux OS in a VM and see if the issue continues?
rockadile
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rockadile »

ajgringo619 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:39 pm This is really strange. I'm running Mint 19 XFCE as my main OS (in a VM; host is Windows 10 w/Nvidia GeForce 960), along with 7 other Linux OSes (Mint 19 Cinnamon/LMDE 3 Beta, CentOS 7, Fedora 28 XFCE/Gnome, Manjaro 17, Ubuntu 18.04), and I can't duplicate this error. Can anyone here install another Linux OS in a VM and see if the issue continues?
Does any other OS do the "fade in" on the background when logging in? This appears to be the crux of the issue since I am using a Qiana background (and have been since the Qiana release) and this was not an issue until Mint 19. In Mint 19, the "fade in" only happens from login. If you go in and select "Change Desktop Background" and choose it, there is no fade in effect and the issue doesn't manifest.
windyweather
Level 3
Level 3

Fade In Bug?

Post by windyweather »

Ok. So maybe the issue is that the Fade In fails to go completely in on the VirtualBox Graphics Driver.
There's another bug too. You can't take a screenshot in a virtual machine. You can take a screenshot from the host of the VM, but not inside the VM. You get black. So looks like the VirtualBox graphics driver needs some love and hugs.

d
[Systems include LM 20 in VirtualBox / Win 10 Host on AMD Ryzen 3800x / AsRock A300 Ryzen 3200G]
ajgringo619

Re: Fade In Bug?

Post by ajgringo619 »

windyweather wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:38 pm Ok. So maybe the issue is that the Fade In fails to go completely in on the VirtualBox Graphics Driver.
There's another bug too. You can't take a screenshot in a virtual machine. You can take a screenshot from the host of the VM, but not inside the VM. You get black. So looks like the VirtualBox graphics driver needs some love and hugs.

d
EDIT: From my LMDE3 VM (Cinnamon), I tried a screenshot. I got the background image, but it ignored the desktop icons and open windows.
I tried the same thing, this time logging on to the XFCE desktop. This time the screenshot function worked as advertised.
rockadile
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rockadile »

windyweather wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:38 pm Ok. So maybe the issue is that the Fade In fails to go completely in on the VirtualBox Graphics Driver.

d
It’s a shame we’re not given the option to disable the fade in (at least that I am aware of).
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

rockadile wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:53 pm It’s a shame we’re not given the option to disable the fade in (at least that I am aware of).
Look at the settings in Effects from the Cinnamon menu - Session Startup Animation is the one to toggle.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
rockadile
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rockadile »

smurphos wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:54 am
rockadile wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:53 pm It’s a shame we’re not given the option to disable the fade in (at least that I am aware of).
Look at the settings in Effects from the Cinnamon menu - Session Startup Animation is the one to toggle.
Thanks. Unfortunately, that made no difference.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Open a terminal and try

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.cinnamon.muffin background-transition 'none'
That setting was added specifically for working around issues with the background in vbox. Hopefully that helps.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
rockadile
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rockadile »

JosephM wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:59 pm Open a terminal and try

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.cinnamon.muffin background-transition 'none'
That setting was added specifically for working around issues with the background in vbox. Hopefully that helps.
Looks like that works. Thanks!
Mage of Maple
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mage of Maple »

Awesome, that did it! Thanks!!!
ThomIves

Post by ThomIves »

Wow! Thanks. It was such a dumb little thing, but it's nice that it's gone.

Return to “Virtual Machines”