Virtual drive installation hangs in Wine

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nomin
Level 3
Level 3

Virtual drive installation hangs in Wine

Post by Nomin »

I have PlayOnLinux on Mint 19. When I go to install a program manually, the wizard's first step is to create a new virtual drive. I choose another Wine version (2.6, required by Fantasy Grounds), which I've already installed. Next it says to wait a bit for POL/Wine to create the new drive, but it just hangs there without anything happening for several minutes.

Any idea what could be the issue?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cgiefer
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Virtual drive installation hangs in Wine

Post by cgiefer »

Did you ever get this figured out? I see no one responded to this. I am having the same issue right now (Mint 20) and am not sure what to do.
noobloo

Post by noobloo »

I am having the same issue right now (Mint 20) and am not sure what to do
Hi. I don't do much with gaming or playonlinux. I have successfully installed one game - went with all default settings - and it worked. It did hang on me during install once or twice, but I just started it over and it worked ok. I do know there are many things that can go wrong there so I try to avoid it :)
Nomin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Nomin »

cgiefer wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:05 am Did you ever get this figured out? I see no one responded to this. I am having the same issue right now (Mint 20) and am not sure what to do.
I'm afraid not. If you're looking to get FG to work, there's a thread on their forums which has a working solution. Other option is to wait for FGU as that will be natively in Linux. It's in beta, but might work.
cgiefer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cgiefer »

Here's what I'm seeing in the log files:

Wine cannot find the FreeType font library. To enable Wine to
use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than
or equal to 2.0.5.
http://www.freetype.org
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winex11.drv": libSM.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winex11.drv": libSM.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Wine cannot find the FreeType font library. To enable Wine to
use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than
or equal to 2.0.5.

I don't see FreeType in the Software Manager.

Return to “Virtual Machines”