Windows 10 in VirtualBox as guest OS

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ar3700
Level 1
Level 1

Windows 10 in VirtualBox as guest OS

Post by ar3700 »

I just ordered a new laptop, it will arrive in a few days. (Lenovo Flex 5 15.6")
First I will remove the SSD and replace it with a Samsung EVO 970 500GB (instantly voiding the laptop warranty)
I use Linux about 99% of the time and Windows 1%. I don't want to dual-boot.

My question is, after I install LM 19 on the new SSD can I download a Windows 10 ISO from Micro$ofts web site, install it as a VirtualBox guest OS, use the Windows product key that came with my computer, then download the drivers from Lenovos web site... will Windows 10 work that way??

Thanks for any help!

p.s. I really hate M$ and Windows...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Windows 10 in VirtualBox as guest OS

Post by Pierre »

Yes - you can do that It should work out. ..

do keep the original SSD as you may need it for any warranty purposes:
- just replace it back into the machine & your warranty should still be valid.

there is a checkbox in the Guest properties that you do have to check,
- to enable the VTx mode for win-10 to run & this should also be already enabled in the BIOS as well.
if you have at least 8Gb of memory, then do allocate ~6Gb of virtual memory,
and do make the virtual drive, as large as possible, to avoid any later issues with too small drive size.

you won't need those Lenovo drivers, as your virtual guest will get it's drivers from the guest extra's additions.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

It sure wouldn't hurt to create a recovery flash drive with the W10 system before you remove the drive. I don't know of any new PC's that come with install media any more.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

ar3700 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:57 am My question is, after I install LM 19 on the new SSD can I download a Windows 10 ISO from Micro$ofts web site, install it as a VirtualBox guest OS, use the Windows product key that came with my computer, then download the drivers from Lenovos web site... will Windows 10 work that way??
If your key is locked to your BIOS then your key will not work on Windwoes in a VM. You should back the installation up before you do anything.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

Someone told me years ago that you can not use the OEM key on another PC or a VM. It may be a legal thing as well as a technical issue!
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
ar3700
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ar3700 »

Thanks for the replies, looks like I will just have to try it and see.
I did some more searching and one website says I can put the Win10 in a virtual machine, but I will have to get on the phone with Microsoft and explain the situation to get the product key to transfer over to the VM.
I'm going to take out the SSD that comes with the laptop, and keep it as a backup with Win10 untouched.
Laptop will be here in 3 days I will update this thread with the result.
Samsung EVO 970 came today, can't wait to try it out!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

ar3700 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:36 pm I'm going to take out the SSD that comes with the laptop, and keep it as a backup with Win10 untouched.
That's an excellent safety measure that you really can't go wrong with.
ar3700 wrote:Samsung EVO 970 came today, can't wait to try it out!
You won't know what's hit you :) They're very fast, around 3.2GB/s or six times faster than a stock SATA SSD. I have my machine running on two of them in RAID 0... SMOKIN!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
ar3700
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ar3700 »

I got my new laptop in the mail. It took over 2.5 hours to load the M$ Win 10 updates, and 4 reboots. Ridiculous! (I hate Windows)

I turned off Secure Boot in the BIOS (or is it called UEFI now?).

I tested the laptop with Linux Mint Mate 19.1 booted from a USB Flash drive, everything seemed to work fine.

I opened up the laptop on a static protected electronics workbench and wriststrap, and swapped the OEM SSD (with Win10) with my new blank Samsung 970 EVO SSD. Booted again from the USB Flash and... GParted is not seeing the new SSD at all. I can't install Linux Mint.

Will have to do some more research and see what I've done wrong.

Oh yea and apparently my laptop does not have the 25 digit Windows Product Key that I was expecting. Many Windows 10 laptops now use a secret "digital signature" stored somewhere on the computer, from what I read around the internet
ar3700
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ar3700 »

My BIOS or UEFI is seeing the new SSD, but GParted isn't...
ar3700
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ar3700 »

I think I figured it out. There were 3 things I needed to change in UEFI, or BIOS, or whatever you call it.

1. Disable Secure Boot
2. Enable AHCI
3. Enable Legacy Mode

LM is installing on the new SSD now...
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

what you could have done, whilst still in win-10, is to use The Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder
to find out what the actual win-10 key is stated as & note that down.

3. Enable Legacy Mode
that will force the installer into ms-dos partitioning, but you could have kept UEFI Mode to give GPT Mode partitioning.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
lewtwo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lewtwo »

ar3700 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:50 pm I got my new laptop in the mail. It took over 2.5 hours to load the M$ Win 10 updates, and 4 reboots. Ridiculous! (I hate Windows)
Q: Why are Windows users so obsessed with bootup times.
A: Because they do it soooooooooooo much.
ar3700 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:50 pm Oh yea and apparently my laptop does not have the 25 digit Windows Product Key that I was expecting. Many Windows 10 laptops now use a secret "digital signature" stored somewhere on the computer, from what I read around the internet
Bellarc Adviser can dig the OEM Windows Key out of the computer's ROM.
Will give you a good record of the hardware, software and serial numbers as well.

https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor

I am curious how well Windows 10 works out for you under Virtualbox. I tried it but had lots of video problems.
"Engineering is the art of planning and forethought."
http://www.keywild.com

Return to “Virtual Machines”