[SOLVED]How to "rename" a VM?

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
EdB
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED]How to "rename" a VM?

Post by EdB »

Not exactly rename, but I created an new VM by cloning an existing one. The cloned one is no longer used and has been deleted, but the source machine still shows "MyVM (Linked Base for MyCloneVM)". How can I remove the stuff in parenthesis and get it back to just the old name MyVM? (the original VM works fine, it just looks ugly in the list).

Edit - solution below, quick and easy. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to "rename" a VM?

Post by xenopeek »

That's annoying. I tried to reproduce it with:
- Clone as linked one of my VM's
- Then delete the clone
And indeed the original VM retains the "linked base for" name.

I found the suggestion here https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic ... 15#p291292 worked for me.

So go into the directory of your VM, edit the .vbox file with your VM's name and remove the lines <Snapshot …> and </Snapshot> and all the lines in between. The .vbox file is in XML format. When in doubt, or probably safe to do anyway, make a backup of the file before editing.

After restarting VirtualBox my VM had it's original name again and worked fine. Mind that I don't use snapshots so I was comfortable deleting all that stuff but if you use snapshot feature you might have to go for something else.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How to "rename" a VM?

Post by HaveaMint »

All vbox machines and vbox itself need to be closed before edit otherwise it will overwrite all your editing.
You will see this scary statement in it, just make sure all vbox is closed.

Code: Select all

** DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE.
** If you make changes to this file while any VirtualBox related application
** is running, your changes will be overwritten later, without taking effect.
** Use VBoxManage or the VirtualBox Manager GUI to make changes.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

Return to “Virtual Machines”