Win10 host on Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon - very slow

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
comerer

Win10 host on Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon - very slow

Post by comerer »

Hello,
Having an extremely slow Win10 host on Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon.
Previously had Win10 host on Mint 17.x, Mint 18.x and it was really fast.
Apparently the issues started after a new fresh install of Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon.
Would appreciate any suggestions in order to solve this issue.
--
My machine specs:

Lenovo T450S
Intel Core i7-5600U
SSD Drive
24GB RAM
----
Virtualbox Win10 host configuration:
Allocated base memory: 3072MB (*I've also tried above 6000MB, but still very slow)
Chipset: PIIX3
Extended features: enabled I/O APIC
Processor: 2CPU (*I've tried 1 and 2 CPU - but no difference at all) / Execution cap 100%
---

The extremely slow behaviour of Win10, is on the point when it is imposible to work on it, since even for opening Excel or Word I need to wait several minutes, the tabs switch inside Excel will also take several minutes.

Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Win10 host on Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon - very slow

Post by wallyUSA »

Can you identify which is the HOST and which is the GUEST?
If WIN 10 is the guest, it may need more memory?
Which version of VBox? Installed from where?

EDIT: How much space given to Guest?
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
comerer

Post by comerer »

Hi,
Thanks for replying.
---
The main OS is Linux Mint 19 Cinamon.
The Virtualbox guest on it is Win10 pro.
--
Storage space details:
Type(format): Normal (VDI)
Virtual size: 80.0GB
Actual size: 45.96
Details: Dynamically allocated

Thanks!
comerer

Post by comerer »

wallyUSA wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:27 pm If WIN 10 is the guest, it may need more memory?
Just gave it 6144MB Ram, but still same thing.
Previously already tried to play with it from about 3000MB till 7000 MB and still almost the same thing.
---
Previously I could work on Win10 guest under Linux Mint 17.x or 18.x easily with around 4000MB. With very fast reaction, I could easily brows under Windows, work on Excel, Word, having Outlook etc.., and in some cases even worked successfully on simple Photoshop images. And all those with no issues with.
So, I'm trying to understand what could cause so big difference in guest behaviour.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

A few questions:
What version of VB?
Where did you install it from?
Did you install VB Extensions?
Did you install Guest additions?
Have you tried to run anything else in the VB?

It may be something to do with W10. Have you checked Task Manager & Performance Monitor for excessive usage of cpu, disk, memory, etc? It may be a W10 issue and nothing to do with VB.

It would be nice to determine if it is a Host issue or Guest.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

When I upgraded from LM18.3 to LM19.0 (a clean install), I kept my existing VMs, win7 and XP (/home was on a separate partition and was left unchanged so the existing VirtualBox VMs folder was unchanged).

I installed VB direct from oracle - VB is one of the few apps where the recommendation is not to use the version in the repos. Think it worked out of the box (might have had to tell VB to import the VMs, but can't remember. Whatever, it was painless). Also meant all the settings, guest additions, memory allocation, etc. were also unchanged.

Did you do any of this or did you start from scratch with the VM? If not, do you have a copy of the VirtualBox VMs folder from 18.3, e.g. in a backup? If so, restore it. If you can do that should be able to rule out any problem with the VM.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

I'm also having the same problem using win 10 as guest and mint 19 Cinnamon as host, only mine does things on the screen, windows won't start, and VB locks up so i have to reboot the computer. I'm using VB v6.0. Could be because i only have 4gb ram installed.

Return to “Virtual Machines”