[SOLVED] Wine and Virtuall Box

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Skalman
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Wine and Virtuall Box

Post by Skalman »

Hi, maybe somehow a newbe question?
I would like to run a Windos program om my newinstalled Mint Mate 19.1
So.... I used the "Wine" and installed that program from its installation CD to the /home partition.
Everythings seemed to be right, but...it doesnt work. I appeared in the main Menu.
Well.... I erased everything and made a new install, no to the C:/ on a extern mounteed H-disk ant the installer wrote some files also to the *Win catalog residin on thet Hdisk.
Looks nice, but it doesnt work. Not able to start from the terminal or from the main Menu. Not even if I click on the C:/ files/.... the program name itself. Nothing happens.

Now I'm thinking of to run it in a Sandbox or Vritual Box or what ever it is namned.
But...I do not know how to install such a virtual Box or virtual machine and after that, how to run it and finally install that windows program.
Someone have patiens with me and can help me with this issue?
Thank You.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Wine and Virtuall Box

Post by HaveaMint »

Skalman wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:58 pm Hi, maybe somehow a newbe question?
I would like to run a Windos program om my newinstalled Mint Mate 19.1
So.... I used the "Wine" and installed that program from its installation CD to the /home partition.
Everythings seemed to be right, but...it doesnt work. I appeared in the main Menu.
Well.... I erased everything and made a new install, no to the C:/ on a extern mounteed H-disk ant the installer wrote some files also to the *Win catalog residin on thet Hdisk.
Looks nice, but it doesnt work. Not able to start from the terminal or from the main Menu. Not even if I click on the C:/ files/.... the program name itself. Nothing happens.

Now I'm thinking of to run it in a Sandbox or Vritual Box or what ever it is namned.
But...I do not know how to install such a virtual Box or virtual machine and after that, how to run it and finally install that windows program.
Someone have patiens with me and can help me with this issue?
Thank You.
This may help you.
https://www.pcsteps.com/207-windows-vir ... x-windows/
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
Skalman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Skalman »

Thank You!!!
:)
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

If running a trial version of Windows in VBox appeals, take a look at Pjotr's tutorial on how to import from ova. Much easier.
Skalman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Skalman »

Thank You both!
I have read both places. Will download and install the Virtual machin and after that... x your fingers.
I must instal the XP SP3 version but I have a "legal" ISO CD.
The reason for that is, I will use this Vm for only one program, an externer special soundcard-sound system, and a score/note/sequncer program.
If I use the W7 it will utdate itself, its own firmware inside the soundcard/box and it is very difficult to reset it back. I know, I have been there.
Hopefully it will work, i have a spare old laptop for the worst scenario over time if my XP laptop crashes. Good to know if I can use the Virtual machine on the ordinarie laptop with Linux.
So folks.... give me some days, weeks to test out.
If I fail I come bach with more questions.
Thanks again.
Skalman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Skalman »

Thanks Folks!
Its working!
I downloaded the VirtualBox from Ooracle. For me it was important to get the 5.2.22 version, not the 6.xxx
since the later doesn't support 32 bits machin anymore.
After config the Box I had to install the Windows just like if it was a real computer, takes lot of time.
After that, time to install the program.Worked fine.
Finaly, install the extern soundcard-box. No needs to do that since the Mate has already picked it up, I only needed to connect the cable! :D

So...problem solved and thank You all, hofully this will help some one else too.

Return to “Virtual Machines”