[Solved] Win 7 VM can't access USB drive

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HarryZ
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Win 7 VM can't access USB drive

Post by HarryZ »

Aloha! I just installed VirtualBox 6.0.4 on a new Mint 19.1 system. I used the instructions located here: https://www.itzgeek.com/how-tos/linux/l ... nt-17.html. The install went well and I am able to boot the Win7 VM. The Win7 system is fully updated.

Next I wanted to get USB support, so I installed the 6.0.4 Extension Pack following the instructions here: https://www.linuxbabe.com/virtualbox/ac ... x-guest-os. Again, the install went fine, other than I had to manually add myself to the vboxusers group.

Next step was to create a "filter" for a USB device, and i was able to do so with no problems. So, I booted up the Win7 VM and once it finished booting, I clicked Devices on the file menu and then Selected USB. Then I selected one of the two USB devices listed so that I could use it in the VM. Unfortunately, there is no sign of the USB device in the VM. See this screen shot https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C8TYHQ ... sp=sharing and you can see that the USB device is selected, but does not show up in Windows Explorer.

Every tutorial I've read on how to set this up ends with selecting the correct USB filter. No further steps required. But, it's not working for me.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Mahalo,

Harry Z
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Win 7 VM can't access USB drive

Post by Pierre »

those usb stick will then show up, on the Windows System - under the Network Area.

you may have to also install the "Guest Extensions" within the Windows System,
as well as the extensions, that you did install earlier on.

from the Running VirtualBox - - Device - Insert Guest Additions CD Image
- then let the Windows System install those additions ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Are you using a USB3 device? If so, Windows 7 does not have native drivers for this. Here's a quote from one of the posters in your links:
In windows 7 guest operating systems you need to install intel usb 3.0 drivers for win 7

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... duct=65855
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

From what I understand USB devices are backwards compatible. Also in vbox you are using most all the Host drivers.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

I have a feeling the OP was using a USB3 port; the device in this case would be irrelevant.

Sorry, HarryZ. I should have asked that question originally. Do you have a USB2 port available to test? Even though it's slower, I've had good luck with Windows VMs using these ports; USB3 - not so much.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Geez I hate M$ I went to the vbox win 7 and apparently I shared another folder and now need to get M$'s permission to use it by re-registering.
What a PITA
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

HaveaMint wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:45 am Geez I hate M$ I went to the vbox win 7 and apparently I shared another folder and now need to get M$'s permission to use it by re-registering.
:lol: Just went through the same thing, reinstalled my VM with VirtualBox (license bought with VM installed under QEMU/KVM). Luckily I was able to convince the Microsoft Store to refund my purchase so I can re-register.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

ajgringo619 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:48 am
HaveaMint wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:45 am Geez I hate M$ I went to the vbox win 7 and apparently I shared another folder and now need to get M$'s permission to use it by re-registering.
:lol: Just went through the same thing, reinstalled my VM with VirtualBox (license bought with VM installed under QEMU/KVM). Luckily I was able to convince the Microsoft Store to refund my purchase so I can re-register.
Tried online approval from Daddy warbucks and they want me to do the phone thing with 10k # entry. I use XP for all my windows needs all one of them.
Selection_001.png
HarryZ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HarryZ »

ajgringo619 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:22 am Are you using a USB3 device? If so, Windows 7 does not have native drivers for this. Here's a quote from one of the posters in your links:
In windows 7 guest operating systems you need to install intel usb 3.0 drivers for win 7

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... duct=65855
Thank you all for the replies. Installing the Guest additions CD did not fix this. But adding the USB3 driver did! (Since I installed the Guest Additions CD first, I'm not 100% sure if it was just the USB3 drivers or the combination of the drivers and the Guest CD)

Mahalo,

Harry Z

Return to “Virtual Machines”