[Solved] How do I install Win10-Pro in Virtualbox using Mint 19.1 on a Lenovo Thinkpad 13?

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Minty432

[Solved] How do I install Win10-Pro in Virtualbox using Mint 19.1 on a Lenovo Thinkpad 13?

Post by Minty432 »

Hi everyone!

Managed a successful installation test-run using an 9 year old Sony Vaio. Virtualbox (and associated softwares) installed fine from the Mint 19.1 Software Manager and the Windows O/S was 'virtulised' successfully from an Windows installation ISO DVD. I even got my main windows software (Scrivener) to install and run inside that Win 10 Pro (1809) virtual machine (yay!). Not so though with my much more modern (and powerful) Lenovo Thinkpad 13 (2nd gen) :shock:

Again, on the Thinkpad, all the Virtualbox components install fine from Software Manager. This time around however I can't get Windows 10 to install in Virtualbox. This is, I suspect, mostly down to the fact that the Thinkpad has no internal CD / DVD (The Sony Vaio did), and for the life of me I can't get Virtualbox to recognise my USB drives (same story on the Sony). So, both my bootable Windows USB stick and my bootable Windows ISO DVD (via an external DVD drive) are sadly mere ornaments just now.

Anyone any ideas about how to get my USB kit working in Virtualbox so it can read / install the Windows O/S in from there?

I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to Linux so any help offered would be most effective if given in words of 3 letters or less :D

Cheers!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How do I install Win10-Pro in Virtualbox using Mint 19.1 on a Lenovo Thinkpad 13?

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: How do I install Win10-Pro in Virtualbox using Mint 19.1 on a Lenovo Thinkpad 13?

Post by AndyMH »

You could download the win10 iso direct from microsoft to somewhere in /home and then point virtualbox at it to install win10. I think your existing licence key should work with the downloaded iso.

The link in the previous post isn't relevant, it's about accessing usb ports after win10 has installed. I think your problem is in pointing VB at something it recognises as something it can install.
Last edited by AndyMH on Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
trapperjohn

Post by trapperjohn »

Or you could dd the media to a file named w10.iso and attach it as a cd storage device.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

As a follow up to my previous, plugged an external DVD drive into a T430, put a win10 disk in it. Short story - had to reboot the laptop a couple of times before I could persuade mint to see it (this was a DVD I had burnt myself from a downloaded iso, didn't have the same problem with a 'factory' win7 disk). Created 'new' in virtualbox and from the drop down pointed it at the DVD drive and it started installing.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Minty432

Post by Minty432 »

deepakdeshp wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:21 pm It's a VB issue. Please see https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic ... 88#p403853
I found your link helpful as part of my problem was undetectable USB ports. In the end adding myself to a group called "Vboxusers" (with a blank USB filter in the VB settings) did the trick for that. So many thanks for your contribution - it was much appreciated.
Minty432

Post by Minty432 »

AndyMH wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:51 pm You could download the win10 iso direct from microsoft to somewhere in /home and then point virtualbox at it to install win10. I think your existing licence key should work with the downloaded iso.

The link in the previous post isn't relevant, it's about accessing usb ports after win10 has installed. I think your problem is in pointing VB at something it recognises as something it can install.
Hi Andy. Your download suggestion did the trick and got Win 10 Pro installed installed and functional in VB 6 (I uninstalled the older version). Only downside is the licence key. I had noted down the licence code in a notepad before wiping my Thinkpad 13 clean - but apparently I somehow missed out on of the 5 batches of alpha-numeric characters from the registration key. How stupid was that? Will contact Lenovo about that as my Thinkpad is still under a year old. *Fingers crossed*.

Thank you for your help. I very much appreciated it. I now have Windows running fine - albeit unregistered for now - and my USD drives and external DVD writer are going fine there. As is my "Shared" folder. I can even get Drag n Drop working from host to guest (but not yet the other way). Best of all though is that my favourite Windows software (Scrivener) runs great in VB6.

Onwards and upwards :)
Minty432

Post by Minty432 »

trapperjohn wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:58 pm Or you could dd the media to a file named w10.iso and attach it as a cd storage device.
Thank you. In the end there was no need for that. Your suggestion was much appreciated none-the-less.
sideband
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [Solved] How do I install Win10-Pro in Virtualbox using Mint 19.1 on a Lenovo Thinkpad 13?

Post by sideband »

Minty432....your Thinkpad will have a Windows 10 Product Key embedded in BIOS/UEFI. My Thinkpad is at least 4 years old, maybe 5, and the Product Key is "burnt in"

There are many references to reading the Product Key from the Linux command line, I read mine easily, guess it was some kind of "bonus" as I bought the Thinkpad new with no OS, ready for Mint. You only need the key once and then Windows 10 will receive a Digital License.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: [Solved] How do I install Win10-Pro in Virtualbox using Mint 19.1 on a Lenovo Thinkpad 13?

Post by AndyMH »

Only downside is the licence key.
I bought a windows 10 license key off amazon for £11, surprisingly it worked!
Minty432

Post by Minty432 »

sideband wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:37 am Minty432....your Thinkpad will have a Windows 10 Product Key embedded in BIOS/UEFI. My Thinkpad is at least 4 years old, maybe 5, and the Product Key is "burnt in"

There are many references to reading the Product Key from the Linux command line, I read mine easily, guess it was some kind of "bonus" as I bought the Thinkpad new with no OS, ready for Mint. You only need the key once and then Windows 10 will receive a Digital License.
That was a great suggestion. All I could find in my BIOS though was a "BIOS OS LICENSE" starting with SDK... And the Windows registration process was having none of that. Wouldn't even let me get the first letter in saying that some characters were not allowed, lol.

Raised the problem with Lenovo's online Tech Support and presently awaiting their response. Serves me right :)
Minty432

Post by Minty432 »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:39 am
Only downside is the licence key.
I bought a windows 10 license key off amazon for £11, surprisingly it worked!
Good to know Andy. If I end up stuck I'll try that route. Thanks again for your support.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Don't know where you are but...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

No guarantees :D
sideband
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sideband »

Just tried the following on my Thinkpad

sudo hexdump -s 56 -e '"MSDM key: " /29 "%s\n"' /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/MSDM

suggested in a Stack Exchange post, and my Product Key (aka MSDM key) was neatly displayed complete with separating dashes

Andy G3TDJ
Minty432

Post by Minty432 »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:42 pm Don't know where you are but...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

No guarantees :D
Impressive feedback on that product! Much appreciated Andy. Have bookmarked it for possible future use. No need this time around however as sideband's brilliant sudo (below) got me my Windows registration key codes (yay!) And they've just have been accepted by Windows. So I'm all good again :)
Minty432

Post by Minty432 »

sideband wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:51 pm Just tried the following on my Thinkpad

sudo hexdump -s 56 -e '"MSDM key: " /29 "%s\n"' /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/MSDM

suggested in a Stack Exchange post, and my Product Key (aka MSDM key) was neatly displayed complete with separating dashes

Andy G3TDJ
You are brilliant man! It worked great for me and Windows has accepted the given key codes. I know we hardly know one another and all that... but I think I love you and want to have your babies :D

Return to “Virtual Machines”