Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
D-Train1961
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 19.1 "software rendering mode" running on VirtualBox

Post by D-Train1961 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:45 pm

Hi guys,
This is my first post here and I'm not sure if the issue I'm having is a Mint 17 issue or a VirtualBox 6 issue.
So I've installed Mint Cinnamon 17 and am running it on VirtualBox version 6.0
After I installed it I ran the installation CD that was already on the desktop to install the full working version rather than the trial version.
Anyway, I installed the "guest additions CD" to get it to run full screen on my laptop. The problem is I'm getting the message "Running in software rendering mode" message but the video drivers I'm running are the VirtualBox drivers so I'm not sure if there is a way to run native Linux drivers when I'm running in VirtualBox. I've tried running inxi -Gx and it shows that I'm running the InnoteK Virtualbox Graphics Adapter drivers.
So basically I need to know if this is a VirtualBox issue? Am I forced to using the VirtualBox display adapter drivers or can I run native drivers right in Mint?
I've also run the software updates until it says I'm up to date so...?
Thanks!

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Mint 17 running on VirtualBox

Post by xenopeek » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:05 pm

Don't know about this specific issue, but before you spend a lot of time on this please consider Linux Mint 17 are reaching end of life next month. Consider replacing it with Linux Mint 18.x or 19.x. See https://linuxmint.com/download_all.php.

D-Train1961
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 17 running on VirtualBox

Post by D-Train1961 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:19 pm

OK, well I have now installed Mint 19.1 and have it running in VirtualBox. Initially I got the same window stating that I'm running in software rendering mode. The Window was about 800 x 600 so I ran the "guest additions CD" to try to go to full screen and while installing these drivers the Linux window did go full screen (1920 x 1280?). So I restarted the virtual machine and I still have the "software rendering mode" message and I can no longer get my Linux window to go full screen. One nice thing about Mint 19 over Mint 17 is at least this software rendering message now has a "X" at the top right corner so at least I can close this message now, but I was unable to close it on Mint 17. My video driver shows up as an SVGA driver provided by VirtualBox. So what gives? As my video card driver is provided by VirtualBox do I fix this issue somehow by upgrading something in VirtualBox itself? Or is this a Linux Mint issue?

I should mention that I also have a VirtualBox machine running CentOS as well and I DO NOT have the same issue with CentOS, which leads me to believe it is an Ubuntu/Mint issue.
Ideas? Suggestions?
Thanks!

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Mint 19.1 "softare rendering mode" running on VirtualBox

Post by smurphos » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:59 am

Cinnamon needs 3D acceleration enabled to not run in Software rendering mode.

Two pre-requisites

1)In the Virtual machine settings 3d acceleration ticked and the VboxVGA driver used.

2)Guest additions installed in the guest running Cinnamon.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:37 am

smurphos wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:59 am
Two pre-requisites
At least using VirtualBox 6 all I need to do is to check the 3D accel box, no matter what graphics driver is used or whether guest additions are installed.

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:33 am

gm10 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:37 am
smurphos wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:59 am
Two pre-requisites
At least using VirtualBox 6 all I need to do is to check the 3D accel box, no matter what graphics driver is used or whether guest additions are installed.
Interesting this is what I get on Vbox 6 (running vbox in full screen mode)

VboxVGA - normal resolution, software rendering without Guest Additions
VMSBGA - 800 x 600 resolution, but doesn't need Guest Additions to avoid Software Rendering.
VboxSVGA - 1024 x 800 resolution, software rendering without Guest Additions, crashes Cinnamon with Guest Additions.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:53 am

smurphos wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:33 am
VboxVGA - normal resolution, software rendering without Guest Additions
VMSBGA - 800 x 600 resolution, but doesn't need Guest Additions to avoid Software Rendering.
VboxSVGA - 1024 x 800 resolution, software rendering without Guest Additions, crashes Cinnamon with Guest Additions.
Ok, have to admit I didn't test all drivers, my virtual machines use VMSVGA, I just assumed it was the same for all (yes, I should know better). I don't have resolution problems with that driver though so I guess it doesn't behave the same everywhere, anyway.

D-Train1961
Level 1
Level 1

Post by D-Train1961 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:03 pm

Thanks guys, I tried all of this but I still get the error message. I'm using VBoxVGA and 3D acceleration checked, restarted the VM, same message. Interestingly, If I change it to VBoxSVGA instead of VBoxVGA I don't get full screen. VBoxVGA gives me full screen, VBoxSVGA (which of course is higher resolution, 800 x 600 instead of 640 x 480) won't fill the screen. This gets stranger and stranger. Any other ideas? I was going to post the results of my inxi command and a screenshot of my settings in VirtualBox but I can't figure out how to get them onto a thumb drive or copy to a folder on my Windows host. I guess I gotta figure out the SMB command to be able to see the folders on the host "Windows Network". I can see my thumb drive but trying to access it gives me an error message "wrong fs type, etc'" so I tried reformatting it with file type Fat32, no bueno. My only other options are NTFS and exFAT. What command can I use in terminal to format this thumb drive so Mint will be able to access it? Thanks guys for your help and patience.

D-Train1961
Level 1
Level 1

Post by D-Train1961 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:21 pm

Interestingly, I've only been able to get the "software rendering mode" message to NOT appear with one setting. That is VMSVGA and 3D enabled. But when using this mode I don't get full screen. The ONLY way I can get full screen is to select VBoxVGA, as previously stated, but with this setting I get the error message. This is pretty confusing. :?

ryanov
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 19.1 "software rendering mode" running on VirtualBox

Post by ryanov » Sat May 04, 2019 10:53 am

I am using Linux Mint 17.3 still (having a problem with KMyMoney in the newer releases).

Just wanted to write in to say that enabling 3D Acceleration and making no other changes solved this problem for me. I already removed the two packages, virtualbox-guest-utils and virtualbox-guest-x11 (did an "apt purge" today -- not sure if that's necessary), that come from Mint and then installed the Guest Additions from my copy of VirtualBox. I'm using VB 6.0.6 and the standard VBoxVGA driver. I am using 16 MB of video memory (originally I tried increasing it, thinking maybe that was the problem).

thetim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thetim » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:59 am

Using 19.2 in VirtualBox through Win10, I got the same intro. It was solved by "ticking" the "enable 3D acceleration" box in VirtualBox.

otree
Level 1
Level 1

Post by otree » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:24 am

Currently with VirtualBox latest version 6.0.2 I'm receiving a VirtualBox warning message when starting a virtual machine. It says 3D Acceleration with VBoxVGA will be deprecated starting with VirtualBox 6.1. They are suggesting to use a different graphics controller, such as VBoxSVGA. Any plans to support that? Tryied to install Linux Mint 19.2 with 3D enabled and VBoxSVGA, but no success, the video is corrupted in the very beginning of installation. Existing VM with LM 18.2 works on those settings, but the desktop wallpaper is somewhat darkened.

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:46 am

VBoxSVGA is for Windows Guests.

For Linux Guests use VMSVGA. This should work fine for LM 19.2 Cinnamon. It does need Guest Additions to display at full screen resolutions.

pbear
Level 7
Level 7

Post by pbear » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:17 pm

smurphos wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:46 am
For Linux Guests use VMSVGA. This should work fine for LM 19.2 Cinnamon. It does need Guest Additions to display at full screen resolutions.
Yes, it works. I've done it. 3D acceleration doesn't kick in until guest additions are installed, but that's normal.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

otree
Level 1
Level 1

Post by otree » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:35 am

Hi,

Thanks for help. I was able to install Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon on VirtualBox 6.0.2 with VMSVGA selected and 3D Acceleration enabled. I've got a driver warning after instal, so installed guest additions, then installed all updates to OS, then reinstalled guest additions and restarted Mint several times. Anyway I'm getting the driver warning after startup: 'Your system is currently running without video hardware acceleration...'. When launching Driver Manager I see 'VMware: SVGA II Adapter - this device is not working', and greyed radio button on 'Do not use the device'.

Although the desktop resizes to any custom size (which is desired functionality), I'm bit worried about extra CPU usage because of not using a proper driver.

Is there any solution?

pbear
Level 7
Level 7

Post by pbear » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:22 am

Strange. To confirm before posting, I started my Cinn 19.2 VM, expecting no warning. Instead, got the video driver notice you mention. Offered to launch device manager, which I did, but it merely reported "Drivers cannot be installed." Restart from Menu. No warning. Shutdown, then Start from VBox. Warning again. Restart from Menu. No warning. In other words, it's inconsistent but with a pattern. No idea why.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Return to “Virtualization”