Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
balint
Level 1
Level 1

USB Filter Change -> VM Black Freeze

Post by balint » Tue May 21, 2019 8:16 am

Host: Linux Mint 19.1 - 64 bit, Cinnamon + VirtualBox 5.2.30 respectively 6.0.8 + appropriate Extension Pack + membership of vboxusers group
Guests: Windows10 Home 64-bit + Windows 7 Prof 32-bit + both with Guest Additions - both worked well until I changed a USB filter

My two well-functioning virtual Windows-es (7 and 10) were crashed at the same time: only a black screen appears at startup, nothing more. I only changed one of the USB filter settings for one machine (the virtual machine was standing), but both virtual Windows-es died. Now they can only be shut down forced, and even the Linux Mint itself. Zombie processes run in the background that cannot be killed neither from a terminal.

I tried to reinstall the VirtualBox and also the VMs with its setting files (*vbox, VirtalBox.xml), I made several attempts. However exclusively the reinstalling of the Linux Mint system helped, then my VMs worked again. Unfortunately when I set one of the USB filter, I've got back the same black freeze again.

How could I repair my VMs without reinstalling the Linux?

pbear
Level 7
Level 7

Re: USB Filter Change -> VM Black Freeze

Post by pbear » Tue May 21, 2019 7:05 pm

This is a very technical question. Was going to suggest you raise it on the VBox Forum, but I see you have.

Frankly, unless someone here happens to have had the exact same issue, VBox Forum is the right place.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

balint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by balint » Wed May 22, 2019 3:03 pm

Thanks, really I did and I've got some answer already just to send more info.

pbear
Level 7
Level 7

Post by pbear » Wed May 22, 2019 7:38 pm

In fairness to socratis, per their forum rules, you're supposed to have included most of that in the OP.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Return to “Virtualization”