Before you post please read how to get help
deepakdeshp
Level 15
Level 15

[SOLVED] Mint 19.1 host , vmware cant ping guest

Post by deepakdeshp » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:36 am

Hello,

Environment

Vmware workstation pro 15, Linux Mint 19.1 as host and Ubuntu 18.04 as the Virtual machine.

I uninstalled vmware workstation 15 Pro and reinstalled it again. When I started my VM with the workstation 15, I was prompted with that various modules need to be installed for the kernel, I clicked ojk and accordingly the modules were loaded . Now I can start the Ubuntu server as a VM but I am not able to ping from my host. Both client and host are connected sussfully to the internet. Firewall is off on guest and host.

Please advise.
Last edited by deepakdeshp on Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

sideband
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 19.1 host , vmware cant ping guest

Post by sideband » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:36 am

Does the guest use a NAT or Bridged network connection ?

If NAT (default) the guest will use an internally generated network address assigned by the VM, an ifconfig on the guest will disclose the network address in use.

Just tried and I can ping my guest from the host (Linux Mint 19.1) - the guest uses a NAT network connection.

Incidentally if the guest uses a NAT network connection you may need to set up port forwarding in nat.conf for some external applications to reach the guest.

On my system this is /etc/vmware/vmnet8/nat/nat.conf - the last two entries in the text file

For a Bridged connection on the guest a network address will be assigned by your DHCP server/router.

deepakdeshp
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Mint 19.1 host , vmware cant ping guest

Post by deepakdeshp » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:26 am

sideband wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:36 am
Does the guest use a NAT or Bridged network connection ?

If NAT (default) the guest will use an internally generated network address assigned by the VM, an ifconfig on the guest will disclose the network address in use.

Just tried and I can ping my guest from the host (Linux Mint 19.1) - the guest uses a NAT network connection.

Incidentally if the guest uses a NAT network connection you may need to set up port forwarding in nat.conf for some external applications to reach the guest.

On my system this is /etc/vmware/vmnet8/nat/nat.conf - the last two entries in the text file

For a Bridged connection on the guest a network adsee noe dress will be assigned by your DHCP server/router.
Sorry for the late reply and thank you for your response. I had removed and reinstalled Vmware 15 as listed in my first post. Prior to that I had set fixed ip for my virtual guest.I found that this ip for the guest changed and I was trying to ping with the old ip. I have installed many open sorce applications like phpmyadmin, drupal,tomcat, alfresco ,joomla etc and since the guest is command only i access all the applications from my Mint host.
I will observer if this ip remains same or changes across guest reboots.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Return to “Virtualization”