Before you post please read how to get help
LinuxGrows
Level 1
Level 1

Dependancy Problem with Virtualbox

Post by LinuxGrows » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:03 am

My first post and still learning about Linux which replaces Windows 7
I currently have Virtualbox installed on Linux and 2 extra apps tied to it
I had to remove it V5.2 because it does not work. I also tried v6 but that didn't work either
I cannot deinstall any of v5.2 elements in software manager so I spent 2 hours yesterday trying to solve the problem looking at many of these forum entries and on other forums. I tried many of the solutions and although the Package system is no longer broken there is a dependancy problem with Virtualbox-ext.
Not being able to deinstall is one problem but there appears to be a background process running continually using most of the computers resources. Trying to copy files takes a few seconds each file if the batch is big enough. Every half hour or so I have to empty the trash as there is no more room on one of the drives
Also some but not all new app installations will not work because of the dependency issue
Any suggestions or help would be very welcome

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Dependancy Problem with Virtualbox

Post by kyphi » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:05 pm

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forum, LinuxGrows.

Generally it is best practice to install programs via the Software Manager so that they can also be removed if it is deemed necessary. The problem with removing files one by one is that sometimes a library file can be removed that another program depends on and then the system starts to fail. It is a mistake often made in the beginning of the Linux journey.

Since you are experiencing malfunctions it may be best to consider a fresh installation. If you have already saved some personal files to your home directory, you should save these to a storage medium such as a USB stick. If you have used Thunderbird email and saved Bookmarks in Firefox you will have to save two hidden files in your home directory. Hidden files are made visible by pressing 2 keys - Ctrl and h. Pressing those keys a second time hides the files again. The files you will have to save are ".thunderbird" and ".mozilla". The .thunderbird file will contain any emails you have received or sent and the .mozilla file will contain any Bookmarks you have saved.

VirtualBox is a program for the installation of guest operating systems such as other Linux distributions or Windows. It does not accommodate apps. To run Windows apps in Linux Mint use Wine or CrossOver. VirtualBox also requires the installation of the Guest Additions package as well as the Extension Pack.
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon - 64bit

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:23 am

I cannot deinstall any of v5.2 elements in software manager
You can use sudo apt-get purge virtualbox in a terminal, or what I have done previously is in synaptic package manager search on virtualbox and mark everything for removal that is currently installed.

You are better off installing virtualbox direct from oracle rather than using the version in software manager. Post details on how you tried to install version 6.0 and what didn't work. It's not difficult but can be confusing for a newcomer.
but there appears to be a background process running continually using most of the computers resources
Run top in a terminal, it will tell you what processes are runnng and what resources they are consuming, example below:
andy@T432 ~_010.png
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

LinuxGrows
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LinuxGrows » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:00 am

Thanks people for your help so far
I will try them out when I start Linux
I am not keen on a total reinstall but if there is no alternative ...

LinuxGrows
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LinuxGrows » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:04 am

kyphi wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:05 pm
Welcome to the Linux Mint Forum, LinuxGrows.

Generally it is best practice to install programs via the Software Manager so that they can also be removed if it is deemed necessary.
I had to intall a few things from company sources as there was no alternative
Virtualbox 5.2 from the software control panel is way out of date
I did try version 6 but that didnt work so I deinstalled and tried 5.2 but that didnt work either
In both cases I could not even begin to install Windows 7 which I need for some other apps not available on Linux

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:49 pm

Other than telling us that VB doesn't work you have given us no information that would enable us to help you
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Return to “Virtualization”