Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Marii
Level 1
Level 1

virtbox not working... maybe from kernel upgrade

Post by Marii » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:20 am

Few month reader first time poster

I had virtualbox running windows 8.1 without drama for months, and now it isn't working. I believe updating my kernel through it out, but everything in my laptop is fine.

I searched forums including this one and watched a bunch of youtube videos with no luck.

I completely uninstalled virtualbox and components, I tried installing headers and no luck.

It could be that if i downgrade my kernel it may work again, but i don't know how to do that and i would rather move forward than backward.

so here are some screen shots

the error
Selection_001.jpg
trying sudo modprobe vboxdrv
Selection_003.jpg
trying to reinstall
Selection_004.jpg
So please some help will be great... i promise to help others once I know what I am talking about.

thanks
Linux Mint 19.1
Cinnamon 4.0.10
5.0.0-20-generic
i5-3230M 8GB
Nvidia GeForce 720M

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Re: virtbox not working... maybe from kernel upgrade

Post by AndyMH » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:25 am

Don't know what caused the problem, but looks like you installed the version in the repos. You might have better luck if you install the latest version direct from oracle*:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
You can follow the instructions on the page to set up a ppa, but the easiest route is download the debs for VB (use the ubuntu 18.04 version if using LM19) and then the extension pack which can be found on this page:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
Finally, install guest-additions in win as, I assume, you did previously.
You don't need to re-install win, but as a precaution, make a copy of your 'VirtualBox VMs' folder.

Before you start, remove the existing installation - you can check/remove everything in synaptic package manager.

* VirtualBox is one of the few applications where the recommendation is don't use the version available in software manager, but get it direct from oracle.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:35 am

Virtualbox from Mint's repositories does not support 5.0 series kernels, so either downgrade the kernel or install a newer Virtualbox release as suggested above - in the latter case you should however absolutely add Oracle's repository as describe on the first linked page, otherwise you will not be receiving any security updates for it.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Marii
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Marii » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:07 pm

Thanks for the reply everyone...

wow this is still a little difficult... well struggle brings growth, I will try to work it out from here.

I don't need my virtualbox working today so I wont downgrade my kernel, I want to move forward if possible. I have fudged installing ppa in the past, they seem to be always different lol!

I will post again if I am truly stuck, thanks for the strong leads and advise.
Linux Mint 19.1
Cinnamon 4.0.10
5.0.0-20-generic
i5-3230M 8GB
Nvidia GeForce 720M

Return to “Virtualization”