Problems with windows running in VMware...

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jdege
Level 1
Level 1

Problems with windows running in VMware...

Post by jdege » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:30 pm

I'm running Linux Mint Mate 19.1 as a host for VMware Workstation Pro 15.1 and as a virtual within VMware.

And just yesterday I ran all the updates that the Linux Update Manager showed as pending, both in the VMWare Host and the VMWare virtual.

In the host everything is fine, but in the virtual the window manager is messed up.
  • The start menu doesn't respond to a left-click (though it does to a right click)
  • Many - but not all - windows lack the min/max/close buttons.
  • Many - but not all - windows can't be resized or moved.
I'd last run through the updates a couple of months ago.

Are there any recent updates that might have triggered this? Changes to the MATE desktop environment?

Have there been any reports of this sort of behavior?

jdege
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Problems with windows running in VMware...

Post by jdege » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:57 pm

OK, I've figured out what happened.

I tried running UpdateManager from the command-line, and and saw an error message about "no module named 'apt_pkg'".

Apparently there are known problems about installing Python 3.7 breaking a number of system apps that rely on Python 3.6.

Why this showed up in the virtual and not on the host is that I'd installed Python 3.7 on the virtual, but not on the host.

There are a number of suggestions on how to "fix" this. I tried a few, but none of them worked for me.

Instead, I simply rolled back to the previous night's backup, and now things are fine.

I guess I'll stick to Python 3.6 until the package maintainers get this fixed.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/529 ... ux-mint-19

Return to “Virtualization”