Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
TravelingMan
Level 1
Level 1

How to install programs on virtualbox

Post by TravelingMan » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:14 am

Hi, I have never used VB before and am a user not a techie on Linux Mint, so I need a little help.

I have installed VB on mint Tina, then created a win10 virtual machine. I am now trying to load a flight simulator (Realflight 8) from CD installation media. I have ticked for the drive to be visible from the devices menu item but I can't seem to get it to fire up and install.

So first question is how do I do it. I thought that the setup.exe would run normally as soon as the drive was closed. But nothing happens.

Second question, how do I get the VB screen to fill my laptop screen space, it is smaller and I need all the screen space for the flight sim to be workable.

Third question, the menu at the top of the VB screen has disappeared. Right cntrl + F merely causes the screen to flash. Weird. Can I get it back?

Fourth I have heard about shared folders, but nothing in VB setup indicated to set something up.
Do I need them? If so how and what is the process.

Hoping I can get some simple step by step instructions here. Cheers 😀

RIH
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to install programs on virtualbox

Post by RIH » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:19 am

OK, I will leave the games installation until last...

Full screen (& a few other things) need you to run the Guest Additions to be run.
As long as you have downloaded this from the virtual box site it is easy to install.
Just click on the Devices Menu & it is the bottom item..
Guest additions.png
Ah right you don't have the menu do you... :D
I suspect that in your desire to increase the guest screen size you went to view & clicked on Full Screen Mode... If you have not added Guest Additions you just get a bigger slack area around your small screen.
Press right hand Ctrl button & the letter F that will revert the screen..

Shared Folders are VERY useful as it allows you to pass files & folders between the host & Guests..
What I do is have a Shared Folder that is located with all the Guest vdi files..
To create, go to settings, shared folder & click on the + sign
The Add Shared screen will appear - mouse click in the Shared Path box & click on the Other option
shared.png
You then have to navigate to the place where your shared folder is,,
I never make my Shares' read only & always click the auto mount box.

After you have created the Share it should appear in the Guest..
I'm using Win 7 so it appears under Computer, but the principle is the same.
shared 1.png
shared 1.png (5.02 KiB) Viewed 218 times
Notice that the item above my Shared is the cd/dvd that is in settings.
To load a Windows Program (in my case Office 2013) I just loaded it from settings (exactly the same as you did with the Windows iso) & then opened windows.
It did not auto start, I had to open the cd/dvd drive & then select the autorun command from the items on the cd.
I am not sure if that is what you need to do with your flight controller, but it is worth a try...
Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-64-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.3
Distro: Linux Mint 19.2

RIH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RIH » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:24 am

Sorry I have just re-read & seen that you have tried Ctrl & F without success.
Suggest that you load Guest Additions yourself in settings before you start Windows & then it should auto run once Windows has finished loading.
You will have to restart Windows after GA has run & then right hand Ctrl & F should work...
Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-64-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.3
Distro: Linux Mint 19.2

pbear
Level 7
Level 7

Post by pbear » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:23 am

TravelingMan wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:14 am
Second question, how do I get the VB screen to fill my laptop screen space, it is smaller and I need all the screen space for the flight sim to be workable.
A common cause of this problem is incompatibility between the guest system and the new VirtualBox VMSVGA graphics controller (which is assigned by default when setting up a new virtual machine). With the VM shut down, open Settings and select Display. My Win10 VM runs nicely with VBoxSVGA, so try that. If still no joy, try VBoxVGA. While you're in Settings, make sure the 2D video acceleration box is ticked (for Windows, 2D not 3D).

Please report back, as this is a recurring issue.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Return to “Virtualization”