VirtualBox 6 isn't starting

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
msauer75

VirtualBox 6 isn't starting

Post by msauer75 »

Hi,

I use Linux mint 19.2 Xfce and the newest version of VirtualBox 6.0.12 r133076 (Qt5.12.4). If I want to start any of my vms I will get only the following error:

Code: Select all

Für die virtuelle Maschine Win10 konnte keine neue Sitzung eröffnet werden.

The virtual machine 'Win10' has terminated unexpectedly during startup because of signal 6.

Fehlercode:NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Komponente:MachineWrap
Interface:IMachine {5047460a-265d-4538-b23e-ddba5fb84976}
Is there a solution for this problem?

Thank you for your help
br
martin
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: VirtualBox 6 isn't starting

Post by Pierre »

that 0x80004005 is an odd error to get,

- what amount of RAM does your machine have ?
- what amount of RAM is allocated to that win-10 guest ?

can you < temporarily > disable, both the Network Adapter & the usb controller, in the guest settings,
and then see if the guest will now boot up ?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
msauer75

Post by msauer75 »

On my host I have 16GB RAM the VM has 4GB. I tried also 8GB RAM but it doesn't work too.

Also the disabling of USB, network won't be work.

I also try to add a new VM, but this also doesn't work.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

msauer75 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:26 am I also try to add a new VM, but this also doesn't work.
Where did you get VBox 6 from? Did you install it from a downloaded file or from some repository? What instructions did you follow?

The error you're getting indicates that VBox is not installed correctly.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
msauer75

Post by msauer75 »

First I downloaded virtualbox-6.0_6.0.12-133076_Ubuntu_bionic_amd64.deb from https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... _amd64.deb.

After a

sudo apt purge virtualbox*
I did a

sudo dpkg --install virtualbox-6.0_6.0.12-133076_Ubuntu_bionic_amd64.deb
but this doesn't work.

Then I try to add the repository

deb https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian bionic contrib
and installed it with synaptic. This doesn't work too.

The problem exists after I installed LinuxMint Xfce. Before I used LinuxMint Cinnamon.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

msauer75 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:42 am The problem exists after I installed LinuxMint Xfce. Before I used LinuxMint Cinnamon.
Purge virtualbox again then do this:

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Add this line at the end

deb [arch=amd64] http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian bionic contrib

Ctrl-s to save, ctrl-x to exit. However I note you may have already done that, so check the syntax of your line if you have.

Next, noting that there is a hyphen at the end of the first line, so perhaps you should copy/paste from this page into your terminal:

wget -q -O - http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox_2016.asc | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt autoremove && sudo apt update && sudo apt install virtualbox-6.0
Download the extension pack from here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads and install it. You should only need to double-click it once virtualbox is installed.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
msauer75

Post by msauer75 »

Sorry,

I still get the same error.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

"...I still get the same error..."
..."has terminated unexpectedly during startup because of signal 6"
This just says that it received a signal to abort (man signal, scroll down to Standard Signals)...

..."NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)"
This is the most generic error code returned when a more specific one couldn't be returned, 'Unspecified' error...
(Microsoft's COM error codes,Mozilla API error codes...Virtualbox uses Mozilla's XPCOM)...

That is to simply say that, assuming you have a 'clean' installation above of the latest Virtualbox with no previous remnants,
the above error snippet, as it is, sadly, virtually tells next to nothing as to why your Win10 VM doesn't start:
you should examine the whole Vbox.log (Machine - Show Log)
for any hints regarding what might have changed or goes wrong there.

If you can't figure out what happened by examining such (admittedly, Vbox's logs are generally quite a bit cryptic),
and don't wanna spend your time changing each & every setting at random until it works,
then save the log, & ask in the Virtualbox forums.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Did you reinstall the VB Extension pack?
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

What happens if you create a new virtual machine? If that starts up, e.g. with the Win10 ISO attached, you could try attaching the Win10 virtual hard disk to this & see what happens ... assuming you haven't already tried this of course.

The RAM allocation shouldn't be an issue; 4GB is plenty for a Win10 VM.

Did you try sudo /sbin/vboxconfig? NOTE: That is from memory, doesn't apply to the Arch-base I'm running so hopefully someone will correct me if I've git it wrong .. won't do any harm though. Haven't tried running a VM within a VM yet. :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
msauer75

Post by msauer75 »

ajgringo619 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:18 pm Did you reinstall the VB Extension pack?
Yes. I did.
msauer75

Post by msauer75 »

BG405 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:52 pm What happens if you create a new virtual machine? If that starts up, e.g. with the Win10 ISO attached, you could try attaching the Win10 virtual hard disk to this & see what happens ... assuming you haven't already tried this of course.

The RAM allocation shouldn't be an issue; 4GB is plenty for a Win10 VM.

Did you try sudo /sbin/vboxconfig? NOTE: That is from memory, doesn't apply to the Arch-base I'm running so hopefully someone will correct me if I've git it wrong .. won't do any harm though. Haven't tried running a VM within a VM yet. :mrgreen:
If I create a new fresh VM I will get the same error.

On my laptop I have the same Linux Mint Xfce 19.2 installed. But there I don't get the error message and the VM will start.
I don't understand where the problem in my PC is.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

can you Purge the VirtualBox - yet again .. in Terminal.

sudo apt purge virtualbox*
then run this:

sudo apt-get autoremove 
then follow again with this:

wget -q -O - http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox_2016.asc | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt autoremove && sudo apt update && sudo apt install virtualbox-6.0
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
msauer75

Post by msauer75 »

Hi,

ok. I found the problem. I install Qt 5.12.4 sperate in dir /opt/Qt and change the ld.so.conf file to find Qt libraries at /opt/Qt/5.12.4/gcc_64/lib. After I removed the entry I can start virtualbox normaly.

Thank you for your help.
BR
martin

Return to “Virtual Machines”