Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
SomeDudeInAZ
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] - KVM/QEMU - Virtual network won't start - can't install

Post by SomeDudeInAZ » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:13 pm

Hi Folks,

So I've been playing with VMs (the eventual goal is to get my old Win 7 & XP machines running there -some stuff just doesn't play nice on wine). and in Mint 19.1 this problem didn't come up. So I'm obviously doing something different.

I followed the same install procedure:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install qemu-kvm libvirt-bin bridge-utils virt-manager
Summarized here: https://www.howtogeek.com/117635/how-to ... on-ubuntu/

I keep getting an error stating that the "network couldn't be activated because the firewall wouldn't start" and thus I couldn't even install an OS - not even freedos or any other linux distro.

I've made sure that bridge-utils was installed and created an ethernet bridge connection. And after much DuckDuckGoing I can't figure out why it isn't working.

Anyone else run into this?

PS - this is on a clean LM19.2 install.

Thanks
Last edited by SomeDudeInAZ on Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ajgringo619
Level 6
Level 6

Re: KVM/QEMU - Virtual network won't start - can't install

Post by ajgringo619 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:19 pm

I followed this guide (skipping the terminal creation of the actual VMs) - https://www.how2shout.com/how-to/qemu-u ... orial.html.

Can you explain when you are seeing the aforementioned error? Also, can you post one of your VM configs (under /etc/libvirt/qemu/your_vm.xml)?
Mint 19.2 XFCE
kernel 4.15.0-72-generic
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 960 w/2GB RAM (440.44)

SomeDudeInAZ
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SomeDudeInAZ » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:53 pm

Thanks for the reply - sorry I've been absent.

I'm still playing. I though I had it fixed last week when it got past that one. But then got stuck somewhere else. And I'm not sure the error isn't related

Now I'm back in the office (for a couple hours and can play with it). I just installed (new) a clean copy of Mint 19.2 XFCE into another partition. I'm about to install (new) a clean copy of Mint 19.2 Cinnamon into yet another, and back them both up before I do any more troubleshooting.

Once I get that done I'll read your link (thank you) and do some additional work on the new installs. Hopefully this should avoid my having any other conflicts that need to be accounted for (for all I know I messed something up somewhere with another package). So these 2 installs are as clean as I can get them (no drivers, media codecs, etc)

Be back soon.

ajgringo619
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ajgringo619 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:23 pm

SomeDudeInAZ wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:53 pm
Once I get that done I'll read your link (thank you) and do some additional work on the new installs. Hopefully this should avoid my having any other conflicts that need to be accounted for (for all I know I messed something up somewhere with another package). So these 2 installs are as clean as I can get them (no drivers, media codecs, etc)

Be back soon.
The only drivers I install on my QEMU VMs are the QEMU user agent (qemu-guest-agent) and the Spice agent (spice-vdagent). The QEMU binaries that come with Mint are not built with the 3D acceleration libraries, so your Cinnamon guest will complain (but it will still work just fine). I've experimented with building my own, but I've never got it to work.
Mint 19.2 XFCE
kernel 4.15.0-72-generic
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 960 w/2GB RAM (440.44)

SomeDudeInAZ
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] - KVM/QEMU - Virtual network won't start - can't install

Post by SomeDudeInAZ » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:27 pm

Thanks for the pointers. Helped me figure this out.

I replicated this on Mint 19.2 Cinnamon and XFCE 64 bit (albeit on the same hardware - I'll try later on another system).

Here's what worked for me (may want to send this in as a tutorial):

1) Run: update manager with refreshed cache
2) Run: apt-get update

sudo apt-get update
3) Forget the "simple" list of packages (qemu-kvm qemu virt-manager virt-viewer libvirt-bin) Instead:

sudo apt-get install qemu-kvm qemu virt-manager virt-viewer libvirt-bin bridge-utils seabios ovmf hugepages cpu-checker python3-libvirt gir1.2-spiceclientgtk-3.0 ebtables iptables dnsmasq spice-client-gtk
4) Make sure that the user who must run the vm is part of the following groups: kvm, libvirt, libvirt-qemu, libvirt-dnsmasq
5) [shouldn't be needed but....] Make sure that the Libvirt Qemu user is part of the following groups: kvm, libvirt, libvirt-qemu, libvirt-dnsmasq

6) If you want to store the VMs anywhere OTHER than the default location make sure that the Libvirt Qemu user has full access to that location (permissions, etc). Ownership doesn't appear to be required

7) Reboot

8 ) Launch virt-manager and create VMs (MX and FreeDos as my initial tests)
9) On Linux guest install spice-vdagent --> shared clipboard support
10) I've installed qemu-guest-agent on the guest (as you suggested) but haven't tapped it yet.

Next task is to get my guest vms to talk to my other drives.

Other than using the terminal to install the above packages I've been doing everything in the GUI. I'll experiment with all terminal once I get the basics down.

Thanks again for the assist.

Return to “Virtualization”