VirtualBox Advice

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

VirtualBox Advice

Post by muffybean »

I am relatively new to Linux and have installed LM MATE and because of absolute necessity I need a three programs that will only run in Windows. So have decided to go with VirtualBox. Can you please advise me how to get/download and run it please. TIA.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Running Linux Mint MATE on 2 desktops + Linux Mint Xfce on Netbook + Cinnamon VM on 3rd Desktop
WharfRat

Re: VirtualBox Advice

Post by WharfRat »

just install these from the repo

Code: Select all

[bill@XPS] ~/Downloads $ apt search virtualbox|grep ^i
i   virtualbox                                                                                      - x86 virtualization solution - base binaries                                                               
i   virtualbox-dkms                                                                                 - x86 virtualization solution - kernel module sources for dkms                                              
i   virtualbox-ext-pack                                                                             - extra capabilities for VirtualBox, downloader.                                                            
i   virtualbox-guest-additions-iso                                                                  - guest additions iso image for VirtualBox                                                                  
i   virtualbox-qt                                                                                   - x86 virtualization solution - Qt based user interface                                                     
[bill@XPS] ~/Downloads $ 
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

WharfRat is correct that VirtualBox can be installed from the software manager.
You should install
Virtualbox
Virtualbox-ext-pack
Virtualbox-guest-additions.iso

in that order, you will also, by doing that, automatically download & install another 4 Virtualbox additional downloads.

However that version of VirtualBox is not the latest, it is version 5.2.32 whereas the latest version is 6.0.14
There is quite a difference in the user interface between the 5 & 6 versions, so it is best to be VERY clear about which edition you are using when asking for assistance.

The version 5 edition is supported by Oracle until July next year. It is the last edition to support 32 bit hosts though.

The latest version of VirtualBox can be downloaded from their website ...
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
I believe that Guest Additions are now automatically part of that download.
There is still a separate download (on that web page) for the extension pack..
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

VirtualBox 5
VirtualBox 5
VirtualBox 5 1.png (102.17 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
VirtualBox 6
VirtualBox 6
VirtualBox 6 1.png (98.15 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

However that version of VirtualBox is not the latest, it is version 5.2.32 whereas the latest version is 6.0.14
I did download the latest edition last night and installed it. I was not able to complete it because of issues with my USB flash drive being dodgy. So I came back out of it and by the time I had got the latest Windows 10 ISO set up on a new flash drive it was late, so will have another go to install it today. Thank you for the the offers to help and I daresay I may need it.
Running Linux Mint MATE on 2 desktops + Linux Mint Xfce on Netbook + Cinnamon VM on 3rd Desktop
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

muffybean wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:10 am Thank you for the the offers to help and I daresay I may need it.
No problem, happy to help..
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

Just tried again and have run into problem, says no bootable medium found.I am using a USB flash drive that I created from the Windows 10 download. Does it not use that sort of medium?
Screenshot at 2019-10-28 10-22-47.png
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

No.
You will have to put on your computer (or in the dvd drive) the Windows 10 iso.
You then go to Settings, Storage Tab & then click on the dvd icon in the centre panel.
Then, in the right hand panel click on the dropdown arrow next to the dvd icon & find & mount the Windows iso.
Win 10.png
Then OK the settings & Start the guest..
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

How much memory & storage space have you allocated for the Windows guest.
Unless you are strapped for either then, personally, I allocate a lot more of both than the defaults - which I think are way under par if you are going to have a snappy Windows with Office & a few more things installed...
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

I went with the defaults but only intend to use it for three programs that I need to use that Linux does not do the equivalent of. None of them are memory intensive; with regard to disk space I selected dynamic.

When you say put the Windows ISO on DVD I assume you mean extracted and not just the single ISO file.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

No, it always needs to be an actual ISO file when you are creating a virtualbox guest.
Nothing fancy, just download the ISO somewhere you can easily navigate to (Downloads . :D ) & add it to the guest dvd drive.
VB will take care of the rest when you Start it..
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

Right I am installing it now to VirtualBox but there is a message I do not quite understand.
VB message
VB message
What does this mean about Mouse Integration?
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

I have successfully installed Windows 10 in VirtualBox and I am very pleased. The one thing I was not expecting was that Windows 10 inside VB is not activated. I do have a valid key and activated on this machine but that is in the Dual Boot basis. I do I circumvent this or can I put in the key for my Windows 10 on this machine?
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

If your Win 10 as a dual boot installation was pre-installed when you bought the computer you will not be in luck as the Win 10 will be an OEM version linked to the hardware it came on and only that hardware.

You are now using virtual hardware and in spite of that being on the original hardware, Microsoft will detect it as a new hardware installation, and you will probably not be able to use the Activation links. It may seem very unfair, but that is Microsoft's licencing rules, I'm afraid.

If you had bought retail copy of Win 10 you may have been able to use it in this virtual way but would have to uninstall the original version first.
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

If I get another key can I use that in there? Also, if I go with just Linux install my dual boot windows would then become redundant, would I then be able to use that key? Can the Windows 10 version in VirtualBox be uninstalled and say an image of a registered version used instead?
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

muffybean wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:56 am I do I circumvent this or can I put in the key for my Windows 10 on this machine?
Do you by some mad chance have an old Win7 machine, or at least its license key? I was able to install Win10 in VBox using one. Still works.
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

What I do have is a HDD with Windows 7 pro installed on it. I hooked the drive out to replace it with another drive but left Windows 7 installation still on the old HDD. If I was to hook it up to the PC it came out of I can easily boot it up and retrieve the key. Would that do?
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

muffybean wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:07 pm Would that do?
Frankly, I don't know. I created my Win10 VM on a lark, plugging in my old Win7 key on the off chance it would work. It did, but I don't know why. Might have helped that I registered using my real name and the same email address as my regular-install Win10 machine (separate OEM license). This was several months ago, so Microsoft's policies might have changed. Worth a shot, though, I think.
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

Actually I had a key I bought a couple of years ago for a friend to install Windows 10 on his PC and he decided to get an Apple Mac instead. I put that in and it activated fine. Sweet dreams. 8) :)

:idea: Now I have a Debloater Script that rips out all the bloat from Windows 10, apps like Cortana, Microsoft Store, OneDrive, stupid Games etc and simplifies your the start switch, plus making it run quicker because it is much leaner. Will do that later plus take out loads of unnecessary startup items as they will not be needed, so hopefully it will run even smoother and it will take up less disk space. Also tidy up Task Scheduler and clean that up as well and remove stuff via regedit under Run services.

I have done this on my main machine and that boots in around 30 to 40 seconds. Be interesting to see how Win10 performs in VB, especially as I only intend to run a couple of programs in it, 8). Another thing I did was to run a small program called WUB that stops Windows from updating because even if after running the debloat program Windows Update stuffs all the bloat back after running the debloat script.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

muffybean wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:48 pm Another thing I did was to run a small program called WUB that stops Windows from updating because even if after running the debloat program Windows Update stuffs all the bloat back after running the debloat script.
In Vbox you can disable win10 access to the internet.
vbox.png
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

Return to “Virtual Machines”