Virtualbox: Was this a mistake with the install? [solved]

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Netherprovinc3
Level 4
Level 4

Virtualbox: Was this a mistake with the install? [solved]

Post by Netherprovinc3 »

I am seeing here
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
That I am to run this command for Debian based Linux distributions:

Code: Select all

deb [arch=amd64] https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian <mydist> contrib
1. When I ran the command, I didn't put "[arch=amd64]" at the beginning. I was following some other instructions on the web, which were a little bit different and perhaps not totally accurate.
2. For <mydist> you are supposed to replace that with the name of your distro. I am running Linux Mint 19.1, but I put bionic there. I was in a "copy and paste" mindset and in hindsight maybe I should have put Tessa?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
msseufert
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Virtualbox: Was this a mistake with the install?

Post by msseufert »

You're fine on both accounts. the amd64 tag tells apt to only use the 64bit version. Omitting that tag on a 64bit system will still install the 64bit version. and 19.1 is built on bionic.
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon Edge.
Intel i9 10th Gen deca-core, 64GB RAM
Netherprovinc3
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Virtualbox: Was this a mistake with the install?

Post by Netherprovinc3 »

msseufert wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:11 pm You're fine on both accounts. the amd64 tag tells apt to only use the 64bit version. Omitting that tag on a 64bit system will still install the 64bit version. and 19.1 is built on bionic.
Ok, I knew it was based on Bionic.
I used Bionic for a very short while before this. I miss the large "X" buttons to close program windows.

Return to “Virtual Machines”