How to make a Virtualbox Windows 10 VM run faster

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Chezzle

How to make a Virtualbox Windows 10 VM run faster

Post by Chezzle »

Hello! I am a new user to Linux and just recently started using it as my main OS over windows. I was trying to install a program that only works on Windows 10. I was having trouble figuring out Wine and so I decided to download Virturalbox and fire up a VM. Once I did so I went ahead and did as the tutorial said by installing Guest Tools. I then went ahead and begin installing my programs and noticed that the machine was still running pretty slow but I thought nothing of it. I continued installing my programs and since I am a gamer and planned on using this VM for playing games I decided fire up ROBLOX. (Yes, I play some ROBLOX don't judge me.) It was terrible and so slow. I put the graphics all the way to their lowest point and the game still wouldn't even function in a state that makes it playable or even semi-playable. I gave the VM some pretty good specs so what else could I do to speed it up? Thanks for reading, I'll be looking out for your response.

VM Specs
Base Memory: 8000 MB out of 16384 MB
Processors: 4 CPUs
PAE/NX: Enabled
Video Memory: 128 MB
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How to make a Virtualbox Windows 10 VM run faster

Post by pbear »

I'm not a gamer, but I don't think anyone considers VBox adequate to the task.

There is a solution, but it hella complicated. Never tried myself. Just passing along, FYI.

Realistically, if this is important, you should either dual boot or get a second computer.
Chezzle

Post by Chezzle »

Thanks for getting back to me, I do currently duel boot I just fear that restarting over and over is hard on my PC, but for now I'll go with what works. Thanks for the response.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

ISTM the advice to avoid booting is mostly "let's think of something to suggest" advice. OTOH, all hard drives fail eventually. You should have a good full backup strategy for both sides of the dual boot. Then, if (when) the drive fails, you buy a new one, restore from backup and life goes on.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Just using normal windows fixs like disabling windows search, delete programs you never use, limit how many programs run at startup and turn off visual effects.
Chezzle

Post by Chezzle »

I'm not worried about losing any data. I don't really have anything of importance on my PC that I am worried enough about to back up. Its just the fact that when my PC fails I don't really have the money to replace the parts that need to be replaced. Its more of a trying to make my PC last longer due to the fact that once it dies I prolly won't be able to get a new one.
afora
Level 4
Level 4

Post by afora »

Try kvm instead of virtualbox. It runs significantly faster for the reasons documented very widely elsewhere.

I mean "significantly".

Return to “Virtual Machines”