Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
georgetoon
Level 3
Level 3

Settings - How many processors?

Post by georgetoon »

I'm running a Core i7 Quad Core system. In Virtualbox, there's a system setting that allows the user to set the number of processors (up to 8). How many processors does a Quad core i7 have? Right now, I have it set to 3. I saw a nice jump in performance. What should the best setting be?

Also, On each log-in, I get the following message:

"Check your video drivers. Your system is running without hardware acceleration. You may experience poor performance and high CPU usage."

When I click the Launch Driver Manger button, and log in with root password, no software drivers are listed. Do I need to toggle on a setting in Virtualbox?
greencloud
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Settings - How many processors?

Post by greencloud »

georgetoon wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:38 pm
In Virtualbox, there's a system setting that allows the user to set the number of processors (up to 8). How many processors does a Quad core i7 have? Right now, I have it set to 3. I saw a nice jump in performance. What should the best setting be?
You mean cores (or threads). The number of cores you see in your Virtualbox setting is the number of cores your i7 has. There's really no best setting, it depends on how well you want the guest OS to run. But normally if you have like an 8-core cpu, people would give the guest OS 2, 4, 6, or all the 8 cores.
georgetoon wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:38 pm
Also, On each log-in, I get the following message:
"Check your video drivers. Your system is running without hardware acceleration. You may experience poor performance and high CPU usage."
When I click the Launch Driver Manger button, and log in with root password, no software drivers are listed. Do I need to toggle on a setting in Virtualbox?
You can try install the virtualbox-guest-additions-iso. It worked for me.
georgetoon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by georgetoon »

Thanks very much.:) Okay, I may crank it up to 4 then.:)

I believe I do have the guest additions installed. This is why I'm able to toggle full screen on, correct? Or am I mistaken?

I installed by simply selecting "Devices" in the menu and clicking "Install Guest Additions."
RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RIH »

In Display settings you need to tick the Enable 3D Acceleration Box... you might need to add extra video Memory there, if you have not altered already from the default settings.
spamegg
Level 4
Level 4

Post by spamegg »

Virtualbox gives a warning when you go over half of your CPU cores (says it can actually reduce performance of the VM)... so dedicate at most half of your CPU cores to the VM.

Return to “Virtualization”