[Solved] VBox installation question

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SomeDudeInAZ
Level 4
Level 4

[Solved] VBox installation question

Post by SomeDudeInAZ »

I'm trying to help a friend that wants to get some of his old games working. KVM/QEMU/Virt-manager won't work because it appears graphics acceleration isn't quite ready (or at least my skill level isn't there yet...). So virtualbox it is.

He's running Mint 20. At this point is installing everything from the software manager the way to go (platform, extension pak, etc) or should I go straight to oracle and get it from there?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: VBox installation question

Post by wallyUSA »

I prefer installing from virtualbox.org! Did it several times with no issues. Remember to download & install VB extension pack. Once the guest is installed, install the 'Guest Additions' in the guest.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
SomeDudeInAZ
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [Solved] VBox installation question

Post by SomeDudeInAZ »

Thanks Wally
edmart

Post by edmart »

same thing - use the virtualbox.org
But for some cases, you may want to keep older versions of VB. Sometimes new versions may conflict with new Windows versions...
SomeDudeInAZ
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SomeDudeInAZ »

so can I assume that I *can* have multiple version of vb installed? Or is this a case of set up vb then in another linux install a different version of vb?
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

SomeDudeInAZ wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:48 pm so can I assume that I *can* have multiple version of vb installed?
No, but you can revert to an earlier version, if it worked better than the current one. Not particularly easy, as you need to purge the current one, then install the old one from deb file. Frankly, most people just live with the current version (warts and all) until the next update.
SomeDudeInAZ
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SomeDudeInAZ »

thats what I thought
SomeDudeInAZ
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SomeDudeInAZ »

Just to update this:

edmart's advice about older versions was spot on. Since I'm installing Win XP for his old games, they are changing the video drivers.

Apparently the last version of vbox to include 3d acceleration for windows xp is ver 6.0. <sigh> hopefully it will last for a while - especially since he doesn't plan on going to the internet with it

Return to “Virtual Machines”