[closed] can't get QEMU started

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

[closed] can't get QEMU started

Post by Pepper-Mint-Patty »

On LM 20 clean install, already have installed Vbox with W10 running. Now want to check QEMU.

Code: Select all

# apt-get install qemu
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
qemu is already the newest version (1:4.2-3ubuntu6.8).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Can't find it in menu.

Extracted the files from the MSEdge-Win10.ova into:
MSEdge-Win10.ovf + MSEdge-Win10-disk001.vmdk

As told here: https://dev.to/guinuxbr/convert-ova-to-qcow2-48f2

Then tried:

$ qemu-img convert MSEdge-Win10-disk001.vmdk w10-qemu.qcow2 -O qcow2
bash: qemu-img: command not found
What am i missing?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
If guns don't kill, then OxyContin doesn't either, heroin isn't addicitve and fairy tales are real.
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
SomeDudeInAZ
Level 4
Level 4

Re: can't get QEMU started

Post by SomeDudeInAZ »

Check this thread first:

viewtopic.php?f=231&t=302786

You can't just install qemu (that's one reason why virtual vbox is easier :wink: )
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

Here's a couple of web pages that you may find very useful as well.
The ubuntu site shows the packages that you should install to run KVM/QEMU virtualisation in the easiest way; it can mostly be done using cli if you are skilled enough, but virt-manager makes it much easier.
I was a virtualbox user for many years but having installed KVM with command

sudo apt-get install qemu-kvm libvirt-daemon-system libvirt-clients bridge-utils
I have to admit that it is much better than VBox; much faster and smoother.
See:-
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM
https://www.linux.com/audience/devops/c ... vm-part-1/
https://www.linux.com/audience/devops/c ... vm-part-2/
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

thnx ajgreeny, i am curious how it will work.
Will look into Wine too, maybe that is even more usefull for me...

BTW i had to dl 4gb of W10 updates after install MSEdge.Win10.VirtualBox.zip !
Is there a way to reuse thes updates for QEMU or do you have to dl them all over again?
If guns don't kill, then OxyContin doesn't either, heroin isn't addicitve and fairy tales are real.
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

I'm not sure how you can reuse Windows updates, or even if you can.

I do not really use my install very much, though I do use the enterprise zip version you mention and then just upgrade it again when needed if I reinstall the Win10 VM after 90 days.

Windows is almost a complete mystery to me now having last really used it as WinXP, 16 years ago.
jamiemint
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jamiemint »

Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:37 pm BTW i had to dl 4gb of W10 updates after install MSEdge.Win10.VirtualBox.zip !
Is there a way to reuse thes updates for QEMU or do you have to dl them all over again?
Those updates get put into the disk image so if you convert the disk image to qcow2 after the updates, your updates will be in the converted disk as well.

Jamie
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

hI Jamie, in VirtualBox VMs/MSEdge - Win10 is the MSEdge - Win10-disk001.vdi about 28gb, like original. Search for diskimage didn't show any big files. Wthin Win10 i couldn't find any either.

Can you be more specific please?
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
SomeDudeInAZ
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SomeDudeInAZ »

One thing top watch for (when using multiple virtual hypervisors) is that Win ties the installed copy to the hardware. And so qemu/vmware/vbox are all different "hardware". There is a "rumour" that a development or full retail install (as opposed to oem) can be switched, but I haven't verified that yet
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

SomeDudeInAZ wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:00 am ...Win ties the installed copy to the hardware. And so qemu/vmware/vbox are all different "hardware". There is a "rumour" that a development or full retail install (as opposed to oem) can be switched
K.I.S.S. please :wink:
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
SomeDudeInAZ
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SomeDudeInAZ »

Sorry bout that...

Windows has different versions / licensing for all it's software.
1) OEM: (like what you get with a DELL) is designed to be installed only onto one computer. Lic code in bios
2) Retail: You go into a store and buy a "retail box"
3) Development: Similar to retail only that you're supposed to use it for testing. Usually it will expire and stop working after a short period of time.

Regardless of which version you actually use, MS will generate an internal code number based on the chipset, bios, cpu, etc. That's why you can't just pull a windows hard disk from your laptop and plop it into your desktop (driver issues aside).

A RETAIL version supposedly has the tools to allow that to happen and will reconfigure itself. I personally have not verified this. Same for development versions. Fwiw, linux (generally) will let you do this.

The software that you use to create a virtual machine is called a hypervisor. KVM-QEMU, Virtualbox, VMware, Xen, etc. are all hypervisors. Qubes OS (https://www.qubes-os.org/) is actually built around it (so everything you do there is inside virtual machines).

From the "inside" of a vm, the operating system sees virtual "hardware" just as it would see an actual physical system. Each hypervisor provides its own "motherboard, bios, graphics card, etc." And the differences between each hypervisor generate different windows "code numbers". Thus a copy of windows initially installed into virtualbox will likely fail when just copied over into qemu. Again, you supposedly can force it. I haven't played with it.

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Without going further down the rabbit hole (unless you want to) I would personally just set up both virtual box and qemu and do clean installs into each. Let them just sit there and go "whirr" and do the update thing. Make backups and then start playing with each to see which one you like better. You may even find that some programs you use play better in one than the other, and so use both <shrug>.

Hope this helps
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

So we know more detail are you installing the version of Windows 10 from the info at https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... albox.html and then converting from that to a qcow2 file as shown at https://dev.to/guinuxbr/convert-ova-to-qcow2-48f2

This how I try it out, very successfully, and then start again after the 90 days that it is licensed for.
The VM in KVM/QEMU runs a great deal better than previous tries I have made with VBox, in which I found Windows 10 was almost unusable and incredibly slow.
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

Spent many an hour to get this working. Useless, i'll stick to dualboot!
so NOT solved, but CASE closed.
19.2 Cinn, Nemo

Return to “Virtual Machines”