VirtualBox Dialog Boxes Broken on Linux Mint 20 Host

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Zergling
Level 1
Level 1

VirtualBox Dialog Boxes Broken on Linux Mint 20 Host

Post by Zergling »

Please note that this issue is occurring on my host, running Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon, not in a Linux Mint guest.

I've just installed VirtualBox via apt and am getting a graphics bug when opening dialog boxes. For example, here is what comes up on my screen when I click "New" in the main window: https://imgur.com/a/kckVsdk

The main window displays fine, this is only when I try to interact with one of the dialog boxes. Any help would be appreciated as I'd love to have VirtualBox working on my host. Already installed latest updates and restarted my system.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Re: VirtualBox Dialog Boxes Broken on Linux Mint 20 Host

Post by linux-rox »

Can't help with the solution, but I can tell you what the problem is called, which may help with your research.
This is called screen tearing. A search at VBox Forum is particularly likely to turn up something useful.

By the way, I did that by using rimg tags, one of the options on the Post A Reply screen.
Notably, it's the image location, not the download link, which goes between the tags.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: VirtualBox Dialog Boxes Broken on Linux Mint 20 Host

Post by spamegg »

This might be due to incompatibility between the theme you are using and the Qt that's used by VB. For example even though I'm using a dark theme, I get this on VB:
vb.png
Try different themes and see if that changes anything. Otherwise there must be something wrong with the kernel modules for VB and you might want to uninstall/reinstall it. Otherwise it must be a bug in VB.

Return to “Virtual Machines”