Linux Mint [HOST] Entire Machine freezing over virtualbox

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
astralpr0jector

Linux Mint [HOST] Entire Machine freezing over virtualbox

Post by astralpr0jector »

Background info:
Newly built PC (1 week old) + newly installed Linux MINT.
I myself am a Windows user and am in the transition of switching to Linux, very new to all this.

The problem:
Linux Mint is freezing from virtualbox. The entire system is freezing and I cannot move the cursor, type any keyboards commands - or do anything to even kill any processes. This has happend 3 times in total over the last 2 days, in both cases I waited around 5-10 minutes for it to unfreeze, nothing happend so had to manually reboot the PC by holding the power button. This happens randomly after 1-2 hours of usage. This is dangerous as I could have had some important files that would be unsaved due to this.

Why I think this is happening because of Virtualbox:
Because in all 3 cases, virtualbox was open. 2 of those times I was configuring settings in virtualbox during the time it froze.

Host machine specifications:

- Linux Mint 20.1 MATE
- Self-built PC
- 32gb ram
- Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz x 20
- GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
- 750W power supply
- Entire system is encrypted (default Linux encryption during install)

Virtualbox specifications:
- VirtualBox 6.1
- Running Windows 10

Another thing I noticed (created separate thread about this) is that that Virtualbox with Windows on it (VM) is running laggy even though I dedicated 8 processors and 8gb of ram on it. A friend of mine with the same virtualbox setup has less ram/processors dedicated and it runs smooth as wind. I don't know if this roots from the same problem, but really hope it does.

P.S. I have done Google/Youtube research before posting this thread and have heard things something about Kernel update, but knowing nothing about what that means - I decided not to risk changing settings that might create some permanent damage. The reason I made this thread is to find the general direction of where to seek the solution.
This transition to a new PC+OS has been very stressful. If anyone had similar virtualbox experiences in the past and could share how they found the solution, would appreciate it.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GNULinux

Re: Linux Mint [HOST] Entire Machine freezing over virtualbox

Post by GNULinux »

try tweeaking your vm settings allocate more ram to the vm, by default it will be 1gb that wont be enough for mint
if still u face problems then try xfce
astralpr0jector

The amount of ram I dedicated to the VM (8GB) has been mentioned in the thread.
astralpr0jector

UPDATE:
I have checked "Enabled 3D acceleration", which allowed me to move the Video memory up to 256mb (before it was 128mb).

The virtualbox works blazinggg fast now.
VERY VERY much better than before.

However. There is still a problem:
- For some reason the Start Menu, when opened - its background is fully transparent
- Some other menu elements are also transparent when opened
- Sometimes the display glitches. For example if I maximize a window, its contents don't show. This makes issues with the clickability of the cursor on that application.

This is already a very good improvement though.
Just want to find the reason why the other new problems are present.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

You might have to enable Virtualization support in your motherboard BIOS. Also it could be due to the full system encryption too. I'm guessing it has to decrypt whenever it's trying to use the virtual drive. So it slows or sometimes freezes. You have to understand that Virtualization is not a perfect thing, it doesn't work perfectly under all conditions.
tkocou
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tkocou »

Too many CPUs dedicated to the VM. Try lowering the CPU count to 2 or 4
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon

Return to “Virtual Machines”