[SOLVED...mostly] Blank/Black Start Up Screen in LM20 on VB 6.1.16 and .18

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
onepiece
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED...mostly] Blank/Black Start Up Screen in LM20 on VB 6.1.16 and .18

Post by onepiece »

Hi Folks,

I'm running LM20 on VB 6.1.18 (w/ current GA). The "bare metal" is a HP Envy with VB loaded on Win 10. Machine works flawlessly...almost...

When booting up Mint, during the initial set up, I had to use the Virtual Box (hereafter VB) command R-Cnt+F to go from Mint in a small window to Full Screen Mint. Thereafter when Mint booted, it would boot to FULL screen Mint as it should without me needing to do the R-Cnt+F to go from Mint in a small window to Full Screen Mint. Time passed without incident.

Just recently, when I boot up Mint, I hear the startup chime and the screen remains black. I fix this by pressing R-Cnt+F which gets me from a blank black screen to Mint in a window, then R-Cnt+F a second time that gives me my full screen Mint. I don't like this extra two-step my Mint is putting me through and don't understand it.
I've checked that all the settings in VB are correct but can not figure out why I need to do this exercise on every cold boot up (but not on a warm reboot). Have even diddled with some of the display settings in VB without success. Can not pin this down to any particular update...though it may be related, unknowingly by me. Thoughts? Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Blank/Black Start Up Screen in LM20 on VB 6.1.16 and .18

Post by spamegg »

That's just a bug in VB. It happens with some other distros as well. There are a lot of open tickets on VB website about it. I remember checking. If it is set to start in fullscreen mode it happens. Go back to vanilla settings on VB and switch to fullscreen manually every time.
onepiece
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Blank/Black Start Up Screen in LM20 on VB 6.1.16 and .18

Post by onepiece »

Thank you for pointing this out. You've saved me pulling my last few clumps of hair out!

I had a hunch I did everything right . . . and still this problem presented. What confused me...is occasionally my LM 20.1 WOULD boot properly to full screen. I was tracking down all/any settings that might have caused this success...but a bug...sometimes intermittent...sometimes not is far and away the more likely cause.

THANK YOU.... anything you could suggest I could do to 'nudge' repair attention to this bug?

Return to “Virtual Machines”