black screen during installation of LM20.1 in VirtualBox

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gebackenemaus

black screen during installation of LM20.1 in VirtualBox

Post by gebackenemaus »

I am running Windows10 on an Hp laptop with an i7-2670QM Processor and 8,00 GB of RAM.
I am a newbie with VirtualBox and after installing it I followed the tutorials on how to install Linux Mint on it. I watched different videos, and chose to follow Joe Collins' tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp1m9kMAfEk&t=867s
I set the VM with 4GB RAM, 2 processors, and gave all 128MB memory to the GraphicsCard.

The VM seems to start fine, I get the boot screen with the Start Linux Mint, Start Linux Mint in compatibility mode, etc. but once I wish to start Linux Mint the screen goes black with a blinking cursor on the top left and nothing loads.

Of course I verified the integrity as well as the authenticity of the .iso

I tried switching off the 3D acceleration in the VM, but it didn't help.Same goes for enabling / disabling PAE on boot.

Any clue on what's going on? Thank you in advance for your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tkocou
Level 2
Level 2

Re: black screen during installation of LM20.1 in VirtualBox

Post by tkocou »

With the VM not running and using a terminal window (Crtl-Alt-T), try boosting the video ram with:

vboxmanage modifyvm <name of virtual machine> --vram 256

During the running of the VM:

The second thing to try is to add the nomodeset option to the grub command line to look like this:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"

While you are editing that file, consider the next two changes as well:
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=visible
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5

Initially, you can add the nomodeset option during the grub boot process. Afterwords, to make the change permanent, the file to edit is /etc/default/grub. You can edit the file in a terminal window (Ctrl-Alt-T) with sudo nano /etc/default/grub

And run sudo update-grub after saving the changes.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon

Return to “Virtual Machines”