Virtualization software needed [SOLVED]

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tshihmin
Level 2
Level 2

Virtualization software needed [SOLVED]

Post by tshihmin »

My laptop OS is Linux Mint 19.1 "Tessa" Cinnamon edition (64-bit).

Before Linux, I was using Windows 10. I installed and used a software called Sandboxie. Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.
I can install any Windows application in what they called sandbox and then run the Windows application in the sandbox. When I throw away the sandbox, everything that is written to it will be lost. This is extremely useful when I try out suspicious software. If the software contains malware or I just don't like it, I just throw away the sandbox and the program disappears completely.

Is there any Linux software that similar to Sandboxie?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Virtualization software needed

Post by xenopeek »

Firejail is a security sandbox: https://firejail.wordpress.com/. It has profiles for many common programs and you can, with some reading of the manpage, easily write your own profile files for a custom security sandbox for random other programs. With option like --private you run a program with a temporary homedir that gets discarded after the program is done. Its website is rather sucky so I'd suggest to read the firejail and firejail-profile manpages and do some experimenting. Arch Linux wiki has an overview of what you can do with it: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firejail
tshihmin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tshihmin »

After reading about Firejail, I still can't find what I'm looking for.

Actually, I want to try out a Linux software but I don't want it to make any changes to my real Linux computer system (starting from the time I install it until the time I run it and until the time after I remove it). How can I do that using Firejail?
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

VirtualBox is a great piece of virtualization software, and it's very easy to use. It's not a sandbox in the sense of Firejail, but it will effectively provide sandboxing, as a virtual machine is segregated from the host machine; a lot of people use it or other similar virtualization software for security reasons, myself included.

Sometimes I have to use TeamViewer, but there's no way in hell I'm running that on my host, so I load it and similar untrusted software from within what is essentially a throw-away virtual machine. The added benefit of things like snapshots make them even more useful. It's also useful for experimenting with system configurations and trying out different distributions of Linux.

Oracle's official VirtualBox website can be found here (currently 6.1), but it's available in Ubuntu's standard repositories, albeit an older version.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
tshihmin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tshihmin »

Termy wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:12 am VirtualBox is a great piece of virtualization software, and it's very easy to use. It's not a sandbox in the sense of Firejail, but it will effectively provide sandboxing, as a virtual machine is segregated from the host machine; a lot of people use it or other similar virtualization software for security reasons, myself included.

Sometimes I have to use TeamViewer, but there's no way in hell I'm running that on my host, so I load it and similar untrusted software from within what is essentially a throw-away virtual machine. The added benefit of things like snapshots make them even more useful. It's also useful for experimenting with system configurations and trying out different distributions of Linux.

Oracle's official VirtualBox website can be found here (currently 6.1), but it's available in Ubuntu's standard repositories, albeit an older version.
That is a great one. But, virtualization feature must enabled in the Bios, and bigger RAM needed to run VirtualBox smoothly. Sadly, my laptop don't has virtualization feature and my laptop don't has enough of RAM to get VirtualBox to run smoothly.

Is there any other software like VirtualBox that don't need virtualization feature to be enabled in the Bios and don't need bigger RAM?
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

tshihmin wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:54 am Is there any other software like VirtualBox that don't need virtualization feature to be enabled in the Bios and don't need bigger RAM?
Hardware virtualization isn't required, but it's certainly preferred. See here. Assuming that information is up-to-date, it seems like you basically are stuck with 32-Bit and lackluster performance, but it's doable.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
tshihmin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tshihmin »

Termy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:30 pm
tshihmin wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:54 am Is there any other software like VirtualBox that don't need virtualization feature to be enabled in the Bios and don't need bigger RAM?
Hardware virtualization isn't required, but it's certainly preferred. See here. Assuming that information is up-to-date, it seems like you basically are stuck with 32-Bit and lackluster performance, but it's doable.
Thank you.

Return to “Virtual Machines”