SOLVED Adobe Digital Editions in Virtualbox. Known problems?

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
barth90
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED Adobe Digital Editions in Virtualbox. Known problems?

Post by barth90 »

I've installed Windows 10 Pro in Virtualbox on my Mint Cinnamon 19.3

It works well. I've installed Calibre for Windows in it, and it works flawlessly.

My problem is with Adobe Digital Editions (ADE). I've installed ADE 4.5.11 and had no error message during the installation.
But I cannot start it. If I click on the icon : nothing. If I go on the C drive, open Programs files (x86), click on the .exe file : nothing.

I don't see it listed on the left side when I hit the window key (unlike Calibre, which I see).

Am I missing a crucial step , or do I need to do something special? Do others have been able to install ADE in Virtualbox.

The only reason I've installed Windows and Virtualbox is to be able to use ADE. That's the only program that allow you to borrow books from the public library.

Any help will greatly be appreciated.

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mshmm
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Adobe Digital Editions in Virtualbox. Known problems?

Post by mshmm »

That is weird :shock:

What happens when you right click on the .exe file in Programs Files (x86) ? What options do you get?

I've got ADE 4.5.11.187303 running with Wine in a Xubuntu 20.04 VirtualBox VM. I used the Winetricks preset to install it. Works fine, but I do have to open it from the Programs Files (x86) folder within .wine in my Home folder. In my case the missing start menu icons are a Wine issue.

Apologies for the obvious question - have you rebooted the VM since installing ADE? (Both Windows and Linux on occasion don't show icons in the Programs menu until after a reboot).
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

barth90 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:16 pm <snip>
The only reason I've installed Windows and Virtualbox is to be able to use ADE. That's the only program that allow you to borrow books from the public library.
Libby (https://libbyapp.com/welcome) works from any browser on any platform; been using it for 2+ years now with my local public library. Books that I check out can be read via browser, downloaded to a device (like Kobo), or via their phone app.
barth90
Level 3
Level 3

Post by barth90 »

mshmm wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:05 pm That is weird :shock:

What happens when you right click on the .exe file in Programs Files (x86) ? What options do you get?

I've got ADE 4.5.11.187303 running with Wine in a Xubuntu 20.04 VirtualBox VM. I used the Winetricks preset to install it. Works fine, but I do have to open it from the Programs Files (x86) folder within .wine in my Home folder. In my case the missing start menu icons are a Wine issue.

Apologies for the obvious question - have you rebooted the VM since installing ADE? (Both Windows and Linux on occasion don't show icons in the Programs menu until after a reboot).
When I right click on the program I have the options of running as administrator and/or try to debug. I’ve tried both to no avail. It just turn and turn.

Yes I’ve powered down qnd rebooted
mshmm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mshmm »

barth90 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:13 pm When I right click on the program I have the options of running as administrator and/or try to debug. I’ve tried both to no avail. It just turn and turn.
I'd suggest uninstalling Adobe Digital Editions, rebooting the VM, and then reinstalling it again to see is that works. The fact that you're using Mint as the host OS has no impact - this is a Windows problem, and you're best off seeking help in Windows forums/help sites or those for ADE. (Unless anyone here wants to step in).

If you do want to try running ADE under Wine in a Linux VM (or even on your main OS), I'm happy to help.
barth90
Level 3
Level 3

Post by barth90 »

mshmm wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:24 am
barth90 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:13 pm When I right click on the program I have the options of running as administrator and/or try to debug. I’ve tried both to no avail. It just turn and turn.
I'd suggest uninstalling Adobe Digital Editions, rebooting the VM, and then reinstalling it again to see is that works. The fact that you're using Mint as the host OS has no impact - this is a Windows problem, and you're best off seeking help in Windows forums/help sites or those for ADE. (Unless anyone here wants to step in).

If you do want to try running ADE under Wine in a Linux VM (or even on your main OS), I'm happy to help.
Thanks for your reply. I will try to fix the problem. If unsuccessfull, I will probably try Wine
barth90
Level 3
Level 3

Re: SOLVED Adobe Digital Editions in Virtualbox. Known problems?

Post by barth90 »

I ended up uninstalling the latest release of ADE and installing an older release (2.0).
Everything is working fine since then. Don't ask me why
mshmm
Level 2
Level 2

Re: SOLVED Adobe Digital Editions in Virtualbox. Known problems?

Post by mshmm »

Good to hear :)

Return to “Virtual Machines”