[SOLVED] Safe W7..?

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Safe W7..?

Post by Chriske »

Hi guys,

So far I've installed Mint18.3+VB+W7+the software I can't run in Linux itself, on one of my machines.
Just installed LM20 on a new laptop and need to do the exact same thing all over again.
So when running W7 in a VB it can access the internet too, and there's no need for it at all.
There is no way I can delete networking to internet in my W7-OS because at the same time I do cut of the connection between LM and W7.
Is there a way to protect myself against that W7 'virus and malware gateway' to the net..?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Safe W7..?

Post by AndyMH »

https://www.google.com/search?q=windows ... e&ie=UTF-8
something you could have done yourself.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

Alaos make sure you have a good virus-free snapshot of your Win-7 so that should you ever feel that you've been infected you can immediately restore the snapshot.
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

In the past, a looong time ago now, I always used Norton Ghost to restore entire WIntendo-OS'ses. If something happened I completely reinstalled my (and friends) Laptops/PC's. Was very handy. After restoring all was set back to it's original install settings, drivers, software included. The only thing I and my friends needed to do was regularly backup documents.
That NG system kept me out of trouble, but most of all saved me LOTS of time.

Now with my new LM20 install I'm going to do the same thing, but this time I'll be using CloneZilla, Maybe there's something easier then CZ. A few years back I had a try with CZ but I gave up. Reason : menu's kept coming, on and on and on before I got to the point of taking that image. Restoring that image I did not succeed at all.
That said NG was far better compared to CZ. Pity NG does not work in Linux.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Chriske wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:52 pm this time I'll be using CloneZilla, Maybe there's something easier then CZ.
I've heard good things about Foxclone. Its developer is right here in this forum.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

Just read the Foxclone manual, seems to me an easy working utility.
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

AndyMH wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:26 pm something you could have done yourself.
Indeed... :lol:
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

Chriske wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:26 pm Is there a way to protect myself against that W7 'virus and malware gateway' to the net..?
In addition to other options mentioned, you can disable the VM's (virtual) network connection. It's one of the settings, i.e., Network.
Untick the box, Enable Network Adapter. Now the VM will be all alone in the universe with no one to talk to except you.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

that is actually the easiest way .. disabled in the Guest Setting area.
8)
the only safe Windows System .. is the one that is Not connected to the Internet . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

Pierre wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:34 am the only safe Windows System .. is the one that is Not connected to the Internet . .
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Virtual Machines”