VBox with uefi and dualboot

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Centauri39
Level 4
Level 4

VBox with uefi and dualboot

Post by Centauri39 »

For some testing purposes, I'd like to install a dual boot system with two Linuxes in Virtualbox, but with UEFI enabled inside of that Virtualbox.
Can anybody tell me how to do this, please?

Rem.:
What I'm actually trying to do is, I want to find out if there is a way to dual boot an Ubuntu based distro and an Arch based one (referring to these distros, I'm thinking of a Mint and Garuda) and since I don't have an empty disk currently, I have to do it virtually, i.e. in a Virtualbox.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: VBox with uefi and dualboot

Post by JerryF »

Centauri39 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:28 pm For some testing purposes, I'd like to install a dual boot system with two Linuxes in Virtualbox, but with UEFI enabled inside of that Virtualbox.
Can anybody tell me how to do this, please?

Rem.:
What I'm actually trying to do is, I want to find out if there is a way to dual boot an Ubuntu based distro and an Arch based one (referring to these distros, I'm thinking of a Mint and Garuda) and since I don't have an empty disk currently, I have to do it virtually, i.e. in a Virtualbox.
Yes, you can do this. VirtualBox has an option to use EFI.
Shutter_022.jpg
I believe that you must have VirtualBox Extension Pack installed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I was reading about Garuda and they do state this:
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Centauri39
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Centauri39 »

I already know where to enable efi mode in Virtualbox.
Actually, I wasn't asking for the location of that option, but for a guide on how to set up a dual boot system inside of Virtualbox.

As for the information of the Garuda page... in fact, Garuda does run quite well in a Virtualbox (I personally tried Garuda in Virtualbox, already and I was pretty much impressed), but performance doesn't matter anyway in this case.
What I want to know is the location and content of the efi folder, after both Mint and Garuda are installed and in particular, if the boot files of Garuda are in another folder (and what this folder is called) than the Mint boot files.

Return to “Virtual Machines”