Virtual Machine running - host loses sound

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ourkid2000
Level 1
Level 1

Virtual Machine running - host loses sound

Post by ourkid2000 »

Good day all,

Trying to sort out a nagging problem in my Mint installation so I spun up a virtual machine as installed Mint 20.1 on it. So my host is running Min 19.3 and the VM is running 20.1.

Everything works great in the beginning with no issues. However, If I leave the VM running for a while, I end up losing my sound on the host machine. I've tried logging out and switching users but the sound never comes back. Once the sound is gone, when I check "Sound Settings" my "Line Out Built In Audio" has gone missing. The only device remaining is the HDMI option.

The only solution I've found to this is to reboot the computer. After that everything works again but I'll lose the sound again if I power up the VM and leave it running for a while. Any thoughts?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tkocou
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Virtual Machine running - host loses sound

Post by tkocou »

Have you installed the PAVUCONTROL application on both host and VM?

Keep in mind that with your setup, you have 2 pulseaudio servers running simultaneously. The pavucontrol will allow you to see what exactly is going on when you lose the audio on your host.

BTW, why haven't you upgraded the host to 20.1?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon

Return to “Virtual Machines”