</abandoned> Virtual Machine vs. Corsair Commander

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
katalia369
Level 3
Level 3

</abandoned> Virtual Machine vs. Corsair Commander

Post by katalia369 »

I have a rig I built myself. I am running a dual boot system. I have Windows 10 (64 bit) installed to a 500GB Solid State Drive, and I have Linux Mint 19.3 installed on a 1TB traditional hard drive. I run all my work and client files in the Linux OS. I keep windows for games and two apps. iCue and Cricut. I am running an AMD RX 590 for my GPU and used a Kraken from NZXT to attach an AIO water cooler with a 240mm radiator to the GPU. I also have an AIO water cooler on my CPU with a 120mm radiator. The water pump for the GPU is plugged into my motherboard the BIOS is set to keep it always on. The water pump for the CPU and all but one of my 5 fans are wired into a Corsair Commander. The fifth fan is plugged into the motherboard at the CPU because my board has a fit otherwise. The Commander requires iCue which does not work on Linux.

I installed iCue on my Windows 10 boot and it picked up the AIO pump and fan on the CPU and manages them well. I have my thermal set as close as I get to my GPU hot spot and average a roughly 7- 10 degrees Celsius difference between reported and actual. I average a CPU idle of about 43 degrees Celsius. This is probably the best I have ever had Winbloze behave, though it is still slow as snail snot compared to my Linux boot.

I have never played with Virtual Machine before so I am a rank newb in virtualization and probably going to ask some really dense questions before I get all the settings correct, forgive me. I am also diagnosed with ADHD, as an adult, to this day I have a very difficult time reading on-screen/digital books, and staying focused for long enough to complete a manual is difficult at best. Especially when it's a user guide/manual that's digital like the one provided by Virtual Box.

I installed Virtual Box on my Linux Mint 19.3 and created a Windows 10 guest. I was able to download and install Firefox, iCue, and Cricut Design Space on my guest. So far so good. Originally I had no clue how to make the guest read the USB, I eventually found that entry in the user's guide. Now my guest reads my commander as well. Here is where it gets tricky. In Linux, I am idling at 55 degrees Celcius and it only gets worse from there. I knew virtualization would take extra from the system but I don't think it is supposed to take on that much is it? Additionally, I cannot get the Commander to read my RAM and motherboard the way it would in the Windows boot, even after importing the profile from that boot. For the first time in my experience with Linux, Windows is outperforming! What did I do wrong?

When I built the VM I allocated 25% of RAM (8 of my 32GB), 50GB of hard drive space, and 2 of my 8 CPU cores. Below I have listed my system info from Linux.

Mrs. J

System: Host: KIBTB-Office Kernel: 5.4.0-70-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.5.0

Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic

Machine: Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: TUF B450M-PRO GAMING v: Rev X.0x serial: <filter>
UEFI: American Megatrends v: 1804 date: 07/29/2019

CPU: Topology: 8-Core model: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen
L2 cache: 4096 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 114988
Speed: 2149 MHz min/max: 2200/3600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2152 2: 4313 3: 2149
4: 2146 5: 2196 6: 2197 7: 2195 8: 2196 9: 2157 10: 2158 11: 2195 12: 2193 13: 2196
14: 2197 15: 2151 16: 4287

Graphics: Device-1: AMD Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X] vendor: XFX Pine
driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 07:00.0 chip ID: 1002:67df
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: amdgpu,ati unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa
resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL:
renderer: Radeon RX 590 Series (POLARIS10 DRM 3.35.0 5.4.0-70-generic LLVM 10.0.0)
v: 4.6 Mesa 20.0.8 direct render: Yes

USB: Hub: 1-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 10 rev: 2.0 chip ID: 1d6b:0002
Device-1: 1-4:2 info: N/A type: Keyboard,Mouse driver: hid-generic,usbhid rev: 1.1
chip ID: 25a8:0901
Device-2: 1-7:3 info: Sunplus Innovation type: Video,Audio
driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo rev: 2.0 chip ID: 1bcf:2281
Hub: 1-8:4 info: Genesys Logic 4-port hub ports: 4 rev: 2.0 chip ID: 05e3:0610
Device-3: 1-9:5 info: Corsair type: HID driver: hid-generic,usbhid rev: 2.0
chip ID: 1b1c:0c10
Device-4: 1-10:6 info: Dell type: Keyboard driver: hid-generic,usbhid rev: 1.1
chip ID: 413c:2107
Hub: 2-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 4 rev: 3.1 chip ID: 1d6b:0003
Hub: 3-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 4 rev: 2.0 chip ID: 1d6b:0002
Hub: 4-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 4 rev: 3.1 chip ID: 1d6b:0003

Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 50.4 C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A

Repos: No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
1: deb http: //packages.linuxmint.com tricia main upstream import backport #id:linuxmint_main
2: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic main restricted universe multiverse
3: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates main restricted universe multiverse
4: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports main restricted universe multiverse
5: deb http: //security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-security main restricted universe multiverse
6: deb http: //archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ bionic partner

Info: Processes: 339 Uptime: 19m Memory: 31.35 GiB used: 2.14 GiB (6.8%) Init: systemd v: 237
runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.5.0 alt: 7 Client: Unknown python3.6 client inxi: 3.0.32
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spamegg
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Virtual Machine vs. Corsair Commander

Post by spamegg »

43 degrees idle on an AIO water cooler seems kinda high to me. Maybe there is an issue with the fluid circulation? Or the fans are spinning at a very low RPM? Take a look at your fan controls in the BIOS.

If you already have Win10 dual boot, why are you running Win10 guest inside a Mint 19.3 host? Is there a particular reason?

I'm guessing that on Linux the fans are even slower. You may try some fan control GUI:
https://github.com/Maldela/fancontrol-gui
katalia369
Level 3
Level 3

Post by katalia369 »

43 degrees idle on an AIO water cooler seems kinda high to me. Maybe there is an issue with the fluid circulation? Or the fans are spinning at a very low RPM? Take a look at your fan controls in the BIOS.
It is. When I had the AIO run to my BIOS and not the Commander I was averaging 35°Celsius on Linux and running like a top. This morning I twitched my wires around and returned my CPU AIO and its fan to my Motherboard and control in BIOS. Plus my GPU AIO is controlled in bios. My other five fans are plugged into the Commander and one thermal lead is tucked into the dead space between the GPU and the AIO. I am down to a 37°C on the Windows side for CPU average. Linux will most likely run better now that I have returned those functions to BIOS.

If you already have Win10 dual boot, why are you running Win10 guest inside a Mint 19.3 host? Is there a particular reason?
I have six fans, an AIO on my CPU, and an AIO on my GPU, but my motherboard only has three fan ports. I have so many splitters and cables running it is a bit of a mess, not to mention the negative impact on airflow. I had heard good things about the Corsair Commander for managing so many fans, so I bought one to try. But the iCue software that the Commander is dependent on only runs in Windows and is not friendly with WINE. This pushed me into a virtual machine to run the Commander in Linux.
I'm guessing that on Linux the fans are even slower. You may try some fan control GUI:
Do you think Maldela would read the fans in the Commander? If it doesn't I am still in of help twitching my settings in the VM Windows to run the fans on the Commander. If it works well, I may jump straight VM and dump the dual boot. I only keep the Windows for iCue, Cricut Design Space, and a few games at this point. The rest of my world is Linux friendly or replaced by Linux friendly at this point in my journey.

Mrs. J
trevortex
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trevortex »

spamegg wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:30 am 43 degrees idle on an AIO water cooler seems kinda high to me. Maybe there is an issue with the fluid circulation? Or the fans are spinning at a very low RPM? Take a look at your fan controls in the BIOS.

I was thinking the same!
katalia369
Level 3
Level 3

Post by katalia369 »

I finally gave up and pulled the commander out of the flipping thing and modified a handful of splitter cables. (urg)

Virtual Machine is over my hardware head at the moment and the dual boot is functioning with less and less time spent in WIndows (yeah). I am now down to Epic Games and Cricut being the only things I jump out of Linux for. Open RGB handles my lights and BIOS handles my fans now.

I now have an $80 paperweight... so much for that idea. Trying to resell it on eBay to someone who actually likes windows.

Mrs. J
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: (abandoned) Virtual Machine vs. Corsair Commander

Post by Portreve »

Lately I've been running openSUSE 15.3 in VirtualBox. It runs very well, and that's with KDE as the DE (I'm not really a fan of KDE, but at least it's better than Gnome 3.x which is the other mainstream DE choice) so to me that's actually fairly impressive.

My system shipped with a 512GB m.2 SSD, but I wound up replacing it with a Western Digital Black 1 TB m.2, and it's dual-booted with Windows 10 and Linux Mint 20.2. W10 is there because it came with the box, and because (as I've stated elsewhere) it's good to stay current because I want to get back into the tech industry as a career. But honestly I have no particular "need" as such for Windows.

Anyhow, in the distant fog of history, I did run Windows (I think it was W7) in a VM, and as I recall it ran "ok" but nothing compares to SSD.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Lately I've been running openSUSE 15.3 in VirtualBox. It runs very well, and that's with KDE as the DE (I'm not really a fan of KDE, but at least it's better than Gnome 3.x which is the other mainstream DE choice) so to me that's actually fairly impressive.

My system shipped with a 512GB m.2 SSD, but I wound up replacing it with a Western Digital Black 1 TB m.2, and it's dual-booted with Windows 10 and Linux Mint 20.2. W10 is there because it came with the box, and because (as I've stated elsewhere) it's good to stay current because I want to get back into the tech industry as a career. But honestly I have no particular "need" as such for Windows.

Anyhow, in the distant fog of history, I did run Windows (I think it was W7) in a VM, and as I recall it ran "ok" but nothing compares to SSD.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
katalia369
Level 3
Level 3

Post by katalia369 »

Aside from my Cricut and a handful of games I pretty much have everything off of Windows now. I must say Mint has come a LONG way since I first picked into it back in the Isadora days. I held out on Isadora for about three weeks before I finally had enough of the terminal (too many RedHat Picasso 90's flashbacks). I jumped back in the Mint game during Petra, really liked Cinnamon, and have stayed with a Mint Cinnamon distro on a dual boot ever since. It has been a relationship that has hit its fair share of bumps in the road. Gradually I have been able to shift more and more of my workload onto Mint with minimal workflow disruption. I have successfully pulled down my Win10 time to about one log-in every other week just to grab updates plus any Cricut cutter orders.

Mrs. J

Return to “Virtual Machines”