USB in guest OS issues [SOLVED]

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kester
Level 5
Level 5

USB in guest OS issues [SOLVED]

Post by Kester »

I've been exploring VirtualBox recently with some success running Windows XP Pro and Windows 7 Pro as guest operating systems on an Xubuntu system.

I'm now trying VirtualBox on my Linux Mint 20.1 system but am struggling to get usb to work in my Linux-Lite guest. I've looked online for solutions and ensured I have VirtualBox Guest Additions and Extension Pack installed. I've also ensured i have added the user to the VBox user group but I cannot get the Linux-Lite guest to 'see' any usb device I connect. When I connect say, a usb memory stick, it is immediately recognized and mounted in the host system when I connect it with the guest up and running. Obviously I have made an error somewhere but cannot fathom it out.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: USB in guest OS issues

Post by Moonstone Man »

Kester wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:54 pm ... am struggling to get usb to work in my Linux-Lite guest...
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=344380

It's about USB passthrough with a Windows guest but other than the OS, everything else is just the same for a Linux guest.
Kester
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kester »

Hi Kadaitcha Man,

Thanks for your response. Your post plus the link it contained was very helpful and now everything is working well. I even managed to get my Canon TS5050 MFP (with usb connection) working once I ditched ippusbxd and replaced it with ipp-usb and added sane-airscan to improve scanning.

I'll mark this thread as 'SOLVED'.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Kester wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:57 pm Thanks for your response. Your post plus the link it contained was very helpful and now everything is working well.
With my compliments.

Return to “Virtual Machines”