Port Forwarding

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chaste67
Level 1
Level 1

Port Forwarding

Post by chaste67 »

Hi everyone,

I have been going around in circles reading and following various guides but I still can not get what I want working :(

I have an ISP Modem (dynamic IP), a Google Wifi 'router', and Mint 20.1 desktop

On my mint system I am using KVM and Virtual Machine Manager to support a windows 10 virtual machine.

What I want to do is allow a specific port from the internet through to my Windows 10 virtual machine.

I have added rules to the Windows firewall on the VM to allow TCP and UDP inbound for the port.

If I add simple rule to UFW then I can receive data on that port as far as my Mint desktop - this tells me that the Google Wifi and my ISP modem are configured to allow the traffic in on that port OK.

But I can not work out how to get that connection to my Windows VM

Any help or pointing me to a relevant guide would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE
I have managed to configure a Bridge and now my VM joins the network as if it were a real machine. However, I dont understand where UFW sits in this scenario.
I have added rules:
1. 49400 ALLOW IN Anywhere
2. 49400 (v6) ALLOW IN Anywhere (v6)

if i listen on the port from my Mint machine and test using https://portchecker.co it shows the port as OPEN
If I do the same thing from the Windows VM it shows the port as closed.
(I have completely turned off the Windows Firewall for now)

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tkocou
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Port Forwarding

Post by tkocou »

UFW sits in LM at the network interface. Traffic comes in from the adapter to ufw and then out to the rest of the network (like localhost or virtual machines). UFW must allow the traffic before the traffic can go elsewhere.

Just because the Windows FW was turned off does not mean that the rules were flushed. Best thing to do for the Windows VM is to turn on the firewall and set it to permit everything. You can always fix the Windows FW after you get the traffic flowing as you desire.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Port Forwarding

Post by Termy »

Is it working, now?
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.

Return to “Virtual Machines”