Best way to install OSX in a VM/VirtualBox in Mint

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SeanvR
Level 1
Level 1

Best way to install OSX in a VM/VirtualBox in Mint

Post by SeanvR »

Good afternoon everyone, i am looking for some guidelines and advice to do the following:
I would like to install OSX ( If possible , Catalina, ) in a VM or VirtualBox on my laptop.
Please bear in mind that i am a brand new user of Linux Mint, having only converted to LM from windows less than 2 weeks ago.
I have read so many ways and versions to do, but i am sure there are tried and trusted ways to do it, that even a beginner can attempt to do?
I would appreciate pointers or suggestions in this regard.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Best way to install OSX in a VM/VirtualBox in Mint

Post by Portreve »

Apple goes to great lengths to prevent people from running macOS on anything other than Apple hardware. I don't know the degree to which this is still "a thing" but there have been rigs in the past (along with hacked system components) to allow various versions of Mac OS X (not sure about the re-branded range called "macOS") to run on other hardware. These are commonly referred to as "Hackintosh" rigs. I would highly doubt any VM software would allow you to do that because of potential DMCA violations (enablement of DRM or other copyright protection circumvention) and lawsuits directly from Apple.

IIRC, I think Apple may have allowed virtualization, but only in the context of buying one of their servers and doing virtualization on it. Whether Apple does that any longer, I have no idea.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
SeanvR
Level 1
Level 1

(SOLVED) Best way to install OSX in a VM/VirtualBox in Mint

Post by SeanvR »

Best way i got to do this, was by not doing it, thanks to all who gave advice, it is much appreciated.
valouch
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Best way to install OSX in a VM/VirtualBox in Mint

Post by valouch »

Routinely virtualizing macos as guest from sierra to bigsur in vmware player, it is possible in virtualbox too. Some step-by-step guides here:
https://www.wikigain.com/category/mac-os/
and many more tutorials exist, host os (win/lin) is irrelevant.

Catalina behaves as the most problematic macos version to virtualize because
- during installation, change of virtual machine type (to windows and back to macos in the next phase) is necessary
- to install updates, using clover bootloader to boot interim phase is required
so I strongly recommend to start with mojave, it is as simple as it can be.

Return to “Virtual Machines”