noob to VM needs help :) - VMware Workstation

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kris345
Level 5
Level 5

Re: noob to VM needs help :) - VMware Workstation

Post by Kris345 »

I wanted to put the game on another SSD, but you can't. Even following their instructions it totally botched steam. I tried to get Timeshift to go back a few hours but that resulted in an unbootable computer.
So I fresh installed Mint 20.1, and steam, and this time, before installing anything I added the link and switched to it. Then when I installed NWN enh, it correctly put it on the other SSD. So one problem solved. By now I was realizing that VMware probably had something like that as well and indeed, now I have VMware running a VM that is on that other SSD. Yay! This keeps Mint small. So my system is almost completely rebuilt to what it was before I started messing with trying to move that steam install. In retrospect, It probably could have been easily done: 1) uninstall the game, 2) add the link in the library and make it default, and 3) re-install the game. 20/20 hindsight. Onward! (I backup now, as I used to, in windows, with Macrium.)
-- ASUS Prime Z790-V WIFI, I9-12900k, UEFI/GPT, 32GB, Sam 980 Pro 1T M.2 .
-- ThinkPad P15s-Gen1-20T4-002KUS, i7-10510U, UEFI/GPT, 16GB, Sammy 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2.
-laserjets: HP M254dw color, HP P1606dn. Epson Perfection 2480 flatbed scanner -
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Kris345 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:53 am edit - Ah, but steam uses (their own fork of) wine...
it's supposed to be their own version of the Crossover System from
https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover
that they have customised . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Just make sure that you install a native Linux version, if available. Steam's Windows bridge is called Proton, of which there are many versions. Some of the older games will run better using an older version of Proton. Use this site to check the status of Proton-enabled games: https://www.protondb.com/
Kris345
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kris345 »

Thanks Pierre!

@ajgringo, I didn't really have a choice. I went to their website and it said to d/l that and I let it install it. So I got whatever version it wanted to give me.

It does heat up the cpu about the same as wine did before, but steam's version of NWN enh is much more updated than GOG's is, so it is fine with me to stick with steam for that, and put up with the heat for that one. I am going to try GOG's NWN2 in win under VMware and see how that runs. NWN enh was at least 10 degrees cooler in that win and I would have stuck with it except for the audio prob. And googling it seems that there are a ton of complaints about GOG's NWN enh's audio.
-- ASUS Prime Z790-V WIFI, I9-12900k, UEFI/GPT, 32GB, Sam 980 Pro 1T M.2 .
-- ThinkPad P15s-Gen1-20T4-002KUS, i7-10510U, UEFI/GPT, 16GB, Sammy 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2.
-laserjets: HP M254dw color, HP P1606dn. Epson Perfection 2480 flatbed scanner -

Return to “Virtual Machines”