Win10 VM not displaying windows properly

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LaoTao
Level 1
Level 1

Win10 VM not displaying windows properly

Post by LaoTao »

I’m running virtual box in Linux mint, and setting up a windows lab ( win2016 domain controller, win2016 WSUS, win10 workstation) in a local nat network. Everything is up and running, win2016 servers resize and behave as they should with operation and windows resizing, but win10 does not.

Win10 refuses to resize, and the windows behave oddly (if type in search box the text doesn’t appear, but hit return and it proceeds like normal, start and settings icons don’t pop up their windows. It just operates oddly. Has anyone else seen win10 misbehave in virtualbox?

My host is a hp mini desktop, 16g ram, nvme ssd, 6 core i5. It’s got plenty of horsepower, don’t expect the issue to be host

It’s more of an annoyance. Just looking to see if anyone else has seen and solved this behavior before!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Win10 VM not displaying windows properly

Post by AndyMH »

Did you install the extension pack in virtualbox?

Did you install guest additions in win?

How did you install virtualbox, direct from oracle or via software manager? Oracle is better, the version in the repos is out of date.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
LaoTao
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LaoTao »

I did install from Linux mint software center versus direct from oracle.

I did install guest additions. I think I’ll try a clean install of virtual box first.

Thanks
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

You need the extension pack and guest additions.

The instructions to install from oracle are on their site:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
The easy way is download the deb, the better way (because it gives you updates) is under the heading Debian-based Linux distributions.

Code: Select all

echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian focal contrib" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list 
    wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add - 
    sudo apt update 
    sudo apt install -y virtualbox-6.1
Note focal = LM20, if using LM19.x then replace focal with bionic.

The extension pack is another download from oracle. Once downloaded, double click on it in your file manager to install. If it asks what to use to install enter virtualbox.

I find the easiest way to remove VB is via the synaptic package manager
Screenshot from 2021-07-24 10-46-00.png
Uncheck anything virtualbox. The screenshot shows 6.1 installed from oracle.

As you have already started with win10, just in case, rename the folder VirtualBox VMs in home to something else before you un-install then rename it afterwards - to remove any risk of deleting your win10 VM.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
LaoTao
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LaoTao »

Turns out the problem was setting the “3D acceleration” checkbox in the Display part of the win10 machine settings. As soon as I unchecked that option, everything worked properly

Turns out I had downloaded the current 6.1 image from virtualbox, so didn’t have to uninstall and reinstall anything. Just changing that setting got everything working properly!
llovepancakes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by llovepancakes »

what isos or ova files did you use for win10? using official ones is SO laggy compared to other OS's

Return to “Virtual Machines”