Windows guests virtualbox always craches & causes firefox on other linux hosts and guests to crash

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
minty_22
Level 2
Level 2

Windows guests virtualbox always craches & causes firefox on other linux hosts and guests to crash

Post by minty_22 »

I am having a weird problem. I have my host(linux) and 4 guests (1 x windows 10, 3 x linux)

I start-up my windows 10 guest, log-on and just leave it running not doing anything on it but about after about 10 minutes the windows 10 host resets its self or crashes.

Most times every firefox browser that i have open on linux guests all crash at the same time and also the browser on my firefox host. The all crash at the same time.

It only happens when i have that windows 10 guest running. I tried windows 8.1 and most times it also happens. Its only the windows guests that is causing this.

It seems like the windows guests cause firefox everywhere to crash

I am using virtualbox 6.1.22 r144080 on a Linux Mint 19.2 host

Windows 10 20H2 Guest

This is what i see in the "reports area" in my linux hosts

https://pastebin.com/t0fZCtLP
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Windows guests virtualbox always craches & causes firefox on other linux hosts and guests to crash

Post by MikeNovember »

Hello,

I use Windows 10 Pro, 20H2, in a VMware wirtual machine, now under Linux Mint 20.2 Mate host, and formerly under 19.3. Never got your problem.

You don't say anything about your computer. Maybe could you copy the content of your system report and paste it in an answer. Some questions:

What is the amount of RAM available in your computer?
How much did you attribute to the virtual machine?
How much for the video RAM (with VirtualBox, video RAM is taken on your system RAM).
What is the empty space left on your disks? (Linux guest / Windows host)
Did you install the VB guest additions in Windows 10?

Since the crash is initialized by your Windows 10, it is more probably a Windows problem or a VB one rather than a Linux one. You say Windows 10 crashes after 10 minutes without doing anything. Note that several processes / services may run silently in Windows, for example Windows update.
What are the Windows processes running?

Regards,

MN
Level 2

Re: Windows guests virtualbox always craches & causes firefox on other linux hosts and guests to crash

Post by minty_22 »

My host computer has 62GB of ram. 6 core processor
Multiple monitors 7 of them

Windows 10 guest
10GB of ram
256MB of video ram
4 CPU's
vBoxSVGA
unchecked Enable 3D Acceleration
1TB Hard Drive actual size 63GB
Network Bridged
I have installed VB guest additions

There is 33 background process running

I reset the windows 10 to wipe everything then eventually the same problem happens again.
Ive updated my host to 19.3 linux mint to see if the problem happens again
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

Your Linux / Windows configuration doesn't seem to be at the origin of the crash, you have enough memory and free disk.

The origin of your problem is Windows, not Linux. I guess that, when VirtualBox and Windows are off, you have no problem with Firefox.

Try to identify what is the origin of your Windows crash:
- has it appeared after a software install?
- was it there since the beginning?

If you don't arrive to solve the problem:
- uninstall all your Windows programs,
- make a big clean: temp directories (user and system), all what you can delete in Windows\Software Distribution, temporary files (Parameters / System / Storage / Delete temporary files),
- try to clean and repair your Windows files; in a terminal with admin power, when online:

Code: Select all

C:
CD\
CD Windows\System32
Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
- try the different solving problems utilities (Parameters / Update and Security / Problems solving)
- update to 21H1 (this will correct potential defects in your Windows installation)

If all this doesn't work, make a fresh install, from ISO image, of Windows 10 21H1. In that case, my advice is to use the free VMware Workstation Player for Linux (16.x). Windows installation is simpler (more assisted), Windows performs faster in VMware Player, and the 3D support is better (with VB you are limited to OpenGL 2.1, while with VMware I have OpenGL 4.6 under Linux host and OpenGL 4.5 under Windows guest).
- download VMware from this pagehttps://www.vmware.com/products/worksta ... ation.html
- Then open a terminal in your download directory,

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt install gcc build-essential -y
$ export LC_ALL=C
$ sudo ./VMware-Player*
- install Windows 10 in VMware, from an ISO image
- install the VMware tools in Windows 10

Regards,

MN
Level 2

Post by valouch »

MikeNovember wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:33 am The origin of your problem is Windows, not Linux.
I dont think so. Guest OS running in virtual machine has very limited possibilities to influence hypervisor & host OS & programs@host, only by exploiting vulnerabilities at host level. The most probable cause is hardware instability under load (many scheduled tasks running after windows startup - updates, windefender scan, dotnet optimization, disk defrag etc) - overclocking, faulty ram, graphics card... Other possibilities are linux graphics driver, the hypervisor itself, some other problem in host OS installation.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

The OP wrote:
I start-up my windows 10 guest, log-on and just leave it running not doing anything on it but about after about 10 minutes the windows 10 host resets its self or crashes.
So, the problem is initiated in the windows host.

But, since it happens ALSO with a windows 8.1 machine:
It only happens when i have that windows 10 guest running. I tried windows 8.1 and most times it also happens. Its only the windows guests that is causing this.
it seems probable that the problem comes from the Linux host or from VirtualBox.

I have tried several times to use VB with a windows guest. It works, but not for 3D support (OpenGL simulation is limited to 2.1 version, while I can get OpenGL 4.5 in VMware player).

I never got any problem with VMware Workstation Player (from 15.0 to 16.1), under Mint 19.2 / 19.3 / 20.2 Mate. I still recommend the OP a fresh install within VMware, if problem is not solved.

Regards,

MN
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

To OP: did you perform a complete install of VirtualBox?

Install procedure is the following:

Download VirtualBox from here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
* VirtualBox platform package for Linux,
* VirtualBox extension pack (it gives support for USB 2.0 and 3.0 devices)

VirtualBox user manual is here: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/; following the manual:
* Install VirtualBox on your Linux host,
* Install extension pack on your Linux host,
* Launch your virtual machine and install guest additions in your windows guest.

In doubt, uninstall existing VB and extension pack; make a fresh install with the latest revision of VB and extension pack (6.1.26 on August 3).

Regards,

MN

Return to “Virtual Machines”