3D acceleration Virtualbox no longer working

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Re: 3D acceleration Virtualbox no longer working

Post by RIH »

Thanks for the 'heads up' rattkjelke.

Now back to 'normal' for me..
JezekiljMonk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JezekiljMonk »

And for me everything back to normal with 3d acceleration.
agtiger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by agtiger »

Confirming rattkjelke's post.

Installing Virtualbox 6.1.28, then installing the 6.1.28 guest additions inside of my Linux Mint 20.2 image, and then applying the latest Mesa video driver patches - all now seems well.

Additional bonus: The login screen stays the same size as the virtualbox image has been set to (when logged in).
FumbleFingers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FumbleFingers »

Sumarious wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:32 pm Just had this exact issue when running updates on mint.

Before you login, change your session to software rendering.

Once you're logged in, attach the guest utils cd, and run the installer to reinstall them.

For some reason on this latest kernel update, the guest utils don't get applied to the latest kernel..

sudo /sbin/rcvboxadd quicksetup all

Reboot, and you should be golden.
Thank you so much! I spent at least a couple of hours spread over several abortive attempts to resolve this problem, but nothing worked until I came across this.
All my Mint systems (host or VBox guest) have always auto-logged me in, and I'd never used "logout" before, so I didn't even know it was possible to explicitly select "software rendering" before logging in.

I had tried re-installing VBox Extensions after logging in the normal way with acceleration disabled. Which I would have *thought* implied "using software rendering instead" - but apparently not, since I'd already tried re-installing Extensions from that situation, but it didn't do any good. Actually logging out (the first time I'd ever used that Mint Main Menu option), logging back in with software rendering, and re-installing Extensions worked like a charm! Thanks again.
FumbleFingers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FumbleFingers »

IGNORE MY PREVIOUS POST!
Apparently Mint "AutoLogin" remembers my last *explicit* choice between (default) and (software rendering) from when I used "Logout" before re-installing Guest Additions. Which didn't actually solve anything - the system is slow with high CPU usage (caused by Cinnamon) regardless of whether I have software rendering explicitly activated through the logon process, or implicitly by turning off h/w acceleration within VBox Display Settings.

That's another half-hour wasted and *still* not solving the problem!
ACE256
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ACE256 »

As confirmed by several others appears to be solved with latest version VirtualBox 6.1.28 - everything is working fine here, thanks to all for support
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

ACE256 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:26 pm As confirmed by several others appears to be solved with latest version VirtualBox 6.1.28 - everything is working fine here, thanks to all for support
just following along here, but have a question.

I have purposely not updated VB for a long time, because I did not want to have to reinstall everything again.
( does it require this? )

I keep seeing this message, and clicking 'OK' just makes it disappear.

If I follow one of those links, is everything I have in VB going to disappear?

VB.png
VB.png (35.58 KiB) Viewed 2995 times
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
JezekiljMonk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JezekiljMonk »

Actually you don't need to worry. Just download the new version, right-click on that .deb file and click Install Package. It will first remove the old version and then install the new one. All your Virtual Machines will be intact. After that download also the GuestAdditions Package and Install it with VirtualBox.
Last step is that you start your VMs, one by one, and in each one of them click Machine->Insert Guest Additions and install it. After that you can switch from Software Rendering Mode back to Normal (Default) Mode with 3D Acceleration and everything will work just fine.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

JezekiljMonk wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:50 pm Actually you don't need to worry. Just download the new version, right-click on that .deb file and click Install Package. It will first remove the old version and then install the new one. All your Virtual Machines will be intact. After that download also the GuestAdditions Package and Install it with VirtualBox.
Last step is that you start your VMs, one by one, and in each one of them click Machine->Insert Guest Additions and install it. After that you can switch from Software Rendering Mode back to Normal (Default) Mode with 3D Acceleration and everything will work just fine.
Thank you that info,
I was wondering what steps would have to be taken, I struggled to get VB working in the first place, and did not want to go thru that again.

It seems that every time, I install a new OS, it does not work, or even boot up right.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
smellydog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by smellydog »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:16 pm I struggled to get VB working in the first place, and did not want to go thru that again. It seems that every time, I install a new OS, it does not work, or even boot up right.
Do you remember specifically what you were having trouble with in the past?
greengnome
Level 2
Level 2

Post by greengnome »

6.1.30 is out now so might as well go directly to that if you are anyway upgrading.
I use their repo since I wanted a newer version:

Code: Select all

deb [arch=amd64] https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian focal contrib
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

greengnome wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:29 am 6.1.30 is out now so might as well go directly to that if you are anyway upgrading.
I use their repo since I wanted a newer version:

deb [arch=amd64] https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian focal contrib
think I found part of the problem, the etc/apt/sources.list had the wrong distro listed, mine is bionic, and that list showed 'eoan' or something like that.

anyway, I have upgraded to 6.1.30 as of today.
houltmac
Level 1
Level 1

Post by houltmac »

Just as a point of reference:

I have spent hours fighting with clean installs of VirtualBox and Mint on an old Mac mini yesterday (first unused thing I came across) and it just won't run usably.

This morning I switched to Parallels just as a test and it runs perfectly. I couldn't be happier.

I'm sure VirtualBox is a fixable issue, but I can't afford to give more time to something that is so unstable and has so many issues anyway. Just thought it might be helpful to others.
[m]
ramon_loureiro
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ramon_loureiro »

Hi!
Same problem here, caused by the VDPAU table update.
After updating VBox_GAs_6.1.30 everything is fine with 3D acceleration.
:D
Elli_Mc_Lauren
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Elli_Mc_Lauren »

ramon_loureiro wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:40 pm Hi!
Same problem here, caused by the VDPAU table update.
After updating VBox_GAs_6.1.30 everything is fine with 3D acceleration.
:D
Its looks fo me, Linux Mint 20.3 and LMDE4 dont offer no white screen bug related versions like Virtual Box >=6.1.27 by Application Management, Synaptic or by Update management on this time.

Its known, not bog affected versions like Virtual Box 6.1.26, can be downloaded and installed by hand or by terminal:
* https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

I suggest today to add support a more actual version on Linux Mint 20.3 and LMDE4:
* viewtopic.php?f=29&t=369440&p=2149133#p2149133
Elli_Mc_Lauren
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Elli_Mc_Lauren »

A solution are now available. See follow:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=369440&p=2168554#p2168554

Return to “Virtual Machines”