SOLVED Re: VBox stuck and will not uninstall

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Yodagirl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Yodagirl »

I just spent about a week trying to get VirtualBox installed (no problem) then a guest system installed (that was a problem). The last try also did not work but this time VB would not uninstall, and is now causing system updates to fail. My system stats are:

Host: tb-Aspire-ES1-572 Kernel: 4.15.0-156-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.5.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu4) dm: lightdm Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
The uninstall fail readout was this:

installArchives() failed: debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable
debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable
Setting up libpam-systemd:amd64 (237-3ubuntu10.52) ...
debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable
dpkg: error processing package libpam-systemd:amd64 (--configure):
installed libpam-systemd:amd64 package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
libpam-systemd:amd64
Setting up libpam-systemd:amd64 (237-3ubuntu10.52) ...
dpkg: error processing package libpam-systemd:amd64 (--configure):
installed libpam-systemd:amd64 package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1

I did try to remove through Synaptic PM to no avail. Anyone got any suggestions?-I would be greatly appreciative!!! Thanks-Yoda PS-will be on the road starting Sunday for 4 weeks & in and out of internet so apologies for delayed reply's to any help, and again, thank you all.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: VBox stuck and will not uninstall

Post by SMG »

Yodagirl wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:33 pm /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable
I did a search on that phrase and found "debconf: DbDriver "config": config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable" while installing packages. Maybe something in that thread will help.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Yodagirl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Yodagirl »

SMG-I can't thank you enough! This has been plaguing me for over a month and was forced to go back to the Windows side of my machine-yuck! The first 2 suggestions did not work, but the next one down in the conversation did the trick: sudo fuser -v -k /var/cache/debconf/config.dat Thank you again!!! Yoda
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: SOLVED Re: VBox stuck and will not uninstall

Post by SMG »

Glad that was able to help.

I see in the comments the -k options kills the found process so everything is done with one command rather than the two-step process listed in the answer with the most votes.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Virtual Machines”