Boot Windows 95 From Floppy

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bc-os
Level 2
Level 2

Boot Windows 95 From Floppy

Post by bc-os »

I have a Virtual Box setup for Windows 95. I still have the old CD-ROM and the floopy disc that used to be needed to boot from CD. When I start up the VM, the first thing I get is:

Code: Select all

FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted.
From what I remember, Windows 95 needs to launch MSCDEX.EXE from the floppy to initiate the CD-ROM drive.
I have a USB floppy drive and the VM seems to recognize it, but the icon is grayed-out on the bottom toolbar. If I right-click on it I have an option for "MSCDEX.EXE", but when I click on it I keep getting an error message:

Failed to open the disk image file /media/<me>/WIN_OPK/MSCDEX.EXE.

Could not get the storage format of the medium '/media/<me>/WIN_OPK/MSCDEX.EXE' (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED).

Result Code: VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80BB0005)
Component: MediumWrap
Interface: IMedium {ad47ad09-787b-44ab-b343-a082a3f2dfb1}
Callee: IVirtualBox {d0a0163f-e254-4e5b-a1f2-011cf991c38d}
Callee RC: VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Boot Windows 95 From Floppy

Post by ricardogroetaers »

bc-os wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:53 pm From what I remember, Windows 95 needs to launch MSCDEX.EXE from the floppy to initiate the CD-ROM drive.
I don't understand virtual machines.
I cannot contribute in this respect.

- The boot floppy must contain an MSDOS or equivalent.
- The driver for MSDOS to recognize the optical media device (CD/DVD drive) is invoked in the config.sys file by the command "device".
- The name of the driver varies widely. An example is:
sscdrom.sys
- In this example the line in config.sys would be:
device=sscdrom.sys /d:sscd000 /v
- The mscdex.exe is a program and must be invoked in the "autoexec.bat" file by the " load" command, example:
load mscdex.exe /d:sscd000

- I don't know which version of Windows 95 you have.
The best one is Windows 95 OSR 2.5 (also called Windows 95 C). It has support for fat 32 lba.

- As the Windows 95 CD is not bootable you can copy its content (files and folders) to a FAT partition of a flash media (pen drive, memory card) or even the hard disk.
This procedure will eliminate the need to use the CD to install Windows 95.

- You can use the boot floppy to transfer the MSDOS system to a FAT partition on flash media (or to a primary, bootable FAT partition on an MBR disk).

- You can transfer the MSDOS system in two ways:
1- With the command sys:
sys a: b:
2- With the command format:
format b: /s
Where "a:" represents the source drive and "b:" represents the destination drive.
Do not interpret these letters as exact. It is just an example.
Be careful not to format the wrong drive.
- This will transfer only the core system (IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS) and the command interpreter (COMMAND.COM) and the driver for compressed disks (DRVSPACE.BIN).
The other files and drivers must be copied manually to the target drive.

- The floppy disk or flash device (USB stick, memory card) serves only to manually invoke the Windows 95 installation program. The name of this installation file varies with the language. In Brazilian Portuguese it is "instalar.exe" (which means install.exe).

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted.
On VB's devices menu select optical drives, then choose a disk file and point VB at the setup.exe or whatever on the floppy to install. Or you may be able point it directly at the CD.

Then on VB's machine menu - reset.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
bc-os
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bc-os »

Unfortunately I'm not having much luck either way. I'm very new to virtual machines. I've never actually set one up before.
On VB's devices menu select optical drives, then choose a disk file and point VB at the setup.exe or whatever on the floppy to install. Or you may be able point it directly at the CD.

Then on VB's machine menu - reset.
I tried this. I hope I did it the right way. I went to Devices->"Optical Drives"->"Choose a disk file..."
but ".exe" files do not show up by default. From the "Files of type" option at the bottom, I had to change it to "All Files (*)". Then I could point to the "setup.exe" file, but I still get:

Failed to open the disk image file /media/<me>/W95_FULL_AR/setup.exe.

Could not get the storage format of the medium '/media/<me>/W95_FULL_AR/setup.exe' (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED).

Result Code: VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80BB0005)
Component: MediumWrap
Interface: IMedium {ad47ad09-787b-44ab-b343-a082a3f2dfb1}
Callee: IVirtualBox {d0a0163f-e254-4e5b-a1f2-011cf991c38d}
Callee RC: VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)

AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

bc-os wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:19 pm I could point to the "setup.exe" file, but I still get:
Try pointing it at the CD instead and see if things get any better.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
blockhead47
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blockhead47 »

Most 95 CDs are NOT BOOTABLE. If a download does not include a boot floppy, please see Microsoft Windows Boot Disks.
https://winworldpc.com/product/microsof ... ot-disk/95
bc-os
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bc-os »

So I downloaded both the "95 RTM" and "95 OSR2.x" and I'm not having luck with either. I still get the "No bootable medium found!" message.
It seems like VirtualBox is looking for a floppy image file only. The thing is, I actually have the old-school boot floppy and the original CD-ROM. When I put it in my USB floppy drive it gets recognized and a file manager window pops up and I can see all the files on disk - including the elusive "MSCDEX.EXE". VirtualBox does not see it as an image file so it errors out.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

I didn't take the time to read the whole thing, but maybe check these instructions and see if anything useful is offered: https://www.sysnettechsolutions.com/en/ ... indows-10/
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

I've actually Installed an win-98 from an CD .. into an VirtualBox,
some time ago .. that CD was an bootable disk, though.

in this case, you would also need to boot with the win-95 CD, as well.
as the modern Linux System no longer handles an floppy disk, very well.

https://archive.org/details/windows-95-c
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
axrusar
Level 7
Level 7

Post by axrusar »

sorry to be nosy. curiosity itches :lol:
what do you need win 95 for?
Linux Mint Una Cinnamon 20.3 Kernel: 5.15.x | Quad Core I7 4.2Ghz | 24GB Ram | 1TB NVMe | Intel Graphics
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

You're going to need to add a floppy drive to the VM as per e.g. https://geek-university.com/oracle-virt ... ppy-drive/, then choose either your USB-drive as its backing store if possible or an image file of the floppy if needed.

An image file you'd from an actual old-style floppy drive create simply as e.g.

dd if=/dev/fd0 of=win95.img
Not currently near a system to check but I believe most USB-floppy drives need to be accessed as e.g. /dev/sdb; dmesg | tail after connecting it shows the device name to use.

But you can as said supposedly also just connect your actual USB-floppy drive as the VM's emulated one. Again can't quickly check things right now but have definitely done this before.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

axrusar wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:54 pm sorry to be nosy. curiosity itches :lol:
As for the author of the topic, I don't know.
But I will not give up my Windows 95 OSR 2.5 (Windows 95 C) with no graphical interface.
For example, when Linux Mint crashes (for whatever reason), I use DOS (from Win 95) to restore the entire partition.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

ricardogroetaers wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:02 amAs for the author of the topic, I don't know.
Same here. But, I recently installed Win98SE in VirtualBox because I wanted to run some old DOS games. 98SE still can boot to DOS and it much easier to install than 95, because you can boot from the install ISO.
bc-os
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bc-os »

axrusar wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:54 pm sorry to be nosy. curiosity itches :lol:
I don't need it exactly. It's mostly for nostalgia. The first compiler I ever used was the old Borland one - version 4.5. The IDE for it had four different color schemes.
I've used Geany for that past several years to write code. I like to make my own color schemes for it. I wanted to recreate the old Borland ones, so I thought I would install Windows 95 on a virtual machine to install the old Borland compiler and IDE.
I've never done anything with virtual machines before. I figured this would be a good beginner-level project.
bc-os
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bc-os »

Also, I've come across several articles that show using "dd" to make an image file, but when I try I keep getting:

dd: error reading '/media/<me>/WIN_OPK': Is a directory
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes copied, 0.000268803 s, 0.0 kB/s
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

/media/<me>/WIN_OPK is not a device but a directory. See above; something like

dd if=/dev/sdb of=win95.img
in which /dev/sdb is the correct device specifier for your USB floppy drive as per e.g. dmesg | tail right after inserting it.
bc-os
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bc-os »

rene wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:55 pm /media/<me>/WIN_OPK is not a device but a directory. See above; something like

dd if=/dev/sdb of=win95.img
in which /dev/sdb is the correct device specifier for your USB floppy drive as per e.g. dmesg | tail right after inserting it.
You're right, sorry I skipped over it. I tried it the right way this time. I was able to successfully make an ".img" file of the floppy. The I pointed the VM floppy drive to that file. I'm still getting "no bootable media found" errors. Apparently I just suck at this...

I've included a couple screen shots: one to show my VM setup, the other to show the floppy disk I"m trying to use.
Attachments
W95_boot_floppy.png
VM1.png
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

The "Storage" tab would've been more directly to the point but assuming that'll be fine can only suggest that your floppy may not in fact be bootable (any more) although if this were due to damage the dd would've likely alerted you to such. In any case works fine for me so can't tell you much else; do not have a bootable Windows 95 floppy at hand but both a MS-DOS 6.22 setup floppy and the Windows 98 SE boot floppy work fine; images created as per above and also from a USB floppy drive.

Note; if/when you do get things running, beware that you will want to install e.g. https://maribu.home.xs4all.nl/zeurkous/ ... sidle.html so as to keep the VM from grabbing 100% of a single core; Windows 95 was too early for e.g. ACPI.
Attachments
win98se1-vb.png
win98se2-startup.png
win98se3-bootdisk.png
bc-os
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bc-os »

Does this add any useful info?
Attachments
VM2.png