How to Install VMware-Player in Cinnamon

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to Install VMware-Player in Cinnamon

Post by Oskar1224 »

I never been in Nice but I know it’s a wonderful place and can imagine the views you have of the Mediterranean sea and the Alps. During my project in France I only had a chance to visit places in Paris and the country site in Northern France. I’m happy for you living in such a nice place, in comparison yesterday we had here -28C….but I’m not complaining, I’m happy here too.

Nicolas
Nicolas
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~/Downloads$ ./VMware-Player*
Hi,

Maybe a second sudo lacking before "./VMware-Player*", but the first one would have been enough...

Try:

Code: Select all

su
export LC_ALL=C
chmod +x VMware-Player*
./VMware-Player*
The error could also coming from trying to install an old version (from 2016) on a modern OS not recognized by VMware Player (Linux Mint 20.3 is based on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, from April 2020).
In that case there would be no solution (your processor does not match recent versions requirement; and if the old version cannot be installed...).

You could still try Virtual Box, dual boot, or Wine for your engineering apps (no equivalent in Linux?).

Regards,

MN
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

Thanks Mike again but it is not a big deal if we dont succeed because I have VMware in my other 2 laptops with XP-PRO. However in my desktop which we are now trying to install VMware I have a 21" LCD screen and its much easier in the eyes. Forgot to tell you that after I type the last command "./VMware-Player* " it says "root access is required for the operation you have choosen" Then I type my password but its not accepted. Anyway if you dont have any other ideas lets forget about it and I would like to thank you for your help and patience.
Nicolas

nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~/Downloads$ export LC_ALL=C
nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~/Downloads$ chmod +x VMware-Player*
nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~/Downloads$ ./VMware-Player*
Extracting VMware Installer...done.
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "atk-bridge": /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libatspi.so.0: undefined symbol: g_type_add_instance_private

(vmware-installer.py:1807): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",
/usr/share/themes/Mint-Y/gtk-2.0/main.rc:1085: error: unexpected identifier `direction', expected character `}'

(vmware-installer.py:1807): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(vmware-installer.py:1807): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~/Downloads$ root access

Command 'root' not found, did you mean:

command 'proot' from deb proot (5.1.0-1.3)
command 'toot' from deb toot (0.25.2-1)
command 'rootv' from deb xawtv (3.106-1)
command 'rott' from deb rott (1.1.2+svn287-3)

Try: sudo apt install <deb name>

nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~/Downloads$ sudo apt install ./VMware_Player*
[sudo] password for nf:
Reading package lists... Done
E: Unsupported file ./VMware_Player* given on commandline
nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~/Downloads$ sudo ./VMware-Player*

(vmware-installer.py:1934): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",
/usr/share/themes/Mint-Y/gtk-2.0/main.rc:1085: error: unexpected identifier `direction', expected character `}'

(vmware-installer.py:1934): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(vmware-installer.py:1934): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

/usr/lib/vmware-installer/3.0.0/vmis-launcher: error while loading shared libraries: libpython3.9.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~/Downloads$ su
Password:
su: Authentication failure
Password:
Password:
Nicolas
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

Not important Mike but I was able to log in as root (found a way to do it from the web and the prompt changed from $ to # and thats an indication of root access as far as I know). I checked the log error and it says as possible causes: remote app didnt send a reply or the message bus security policy blocked the reply or the reply timeout expired or the network connection was broken).
Nicolas

nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~$ su-

Command 'su-' not found, did you mean:

command 'sum' from deb coreutils (8.30-3ubuntu2)
command 'sur' from deb subtle (0.11.3224-xi-2.2build3)
command 'su1' from deb hxtools (20200126-1build1)
command 'su' from deb util-linux (2.34-0.1ubuntu9.1)
command 'sup' from deb sup (20100519-1build1)

Try: sudo apt install <deb name>

nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~$ su -
Password:
root@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~# cd /home/nf/Downloads
root@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:/home/nf/Downloads# export LC_ALL=C
root@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:/home/nf/Downloads# chmod +x VMware-Player*
root@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:/home/nf/Downloads# ./VMware-Player*
User interface initialization failed. Exiting. Check the log for details.
root@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:/home/nf/Downloads#
Nicolas
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Oskar1224 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:20 pm Not important Mike but I was able to log in as root (found a way to do it from the web and the prompt changed from $ to # and thats an indication of root access as far as I know). I checked the log error and it says as possible causes: remote app didnt send a reply or the message bus security policy blocked the reply or the reply timeout expired or the network connection was broken).
Nicolas

nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~$ su-

Command 'su-' not found, did you mean:

command 'sum' from deb coreutils (8.30-3ubuntu2)
command 'sur' from deb subtle (0.11.3224-xi-2.2build3)
command 'su1' from deb hxtools (20200126-1build1)
command 'su' from deb util-linux (2.34-0.1ubuntu9.1)
command 'sup' from deb sup (20100519-1build1)
Hi,

You should just copy the commands, not write them; the command is "su", not "su -"

However, this is not a good sign:
root@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~# cd /home/nf/Downloads
root@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:/home/nf/Downloads# export LC_ALL=C
root@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:/home/nf/Downloads# chmod +x VMware-Player*
root@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:/home/nf/Downloads# ./VMware-Player*
User interface initialization failed. Exiting. Check the log for details.
root@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:/home/nf/Downloads#
You were able to have a root session (this is the effect of "su" command), and VMware installation failed. If it confirms after a new trial (with good commands syntax...) this will mean VMware Player 12 is not compatible with Cinnamon 20.3.

Regards,

MN
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

Sorry to bother you again Mike but had the idea to go back at the beginning of this thread where you told me to download VMware 16 and install it again and then I could try to install XP-PRO 64Bit. I think it will work since it is not like Vista which was 32Bit.

However I went through the steps as at the beginning and all went fine (in the downloads folder I had the VMware 16 version like I did it before), the last line of the code is
./VMware-Player*
The terminal says “extracting VMware installer……done
…………..100%
System is up to date, nothing has been modified.

So all looks good but I can’t find VMware-Player anywhere to start it. Before I had an entry in my menu which I clicked and opened VMware but now I have nothing. Even I went to Software Manager and Synaptics Package Manager but there is nothing of VMware.

If you have the time can you please tell me where I can’t find VMware or what happened?

Much appreciated
Nicolas
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Oskar1224 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:26 am Sorry to bother you again Mike but had the idea to go back at the beginning of this thread where you told me to download VMware 16 and install it again and then I could try to install XP-PRO 64Bit. I think it will work since it is not like Vista which was 32Bit.

However I went through the steps as at the beginning and all went fine (in the downloads folder I had the VMware 16 version like I did it before), the last line of the code is
./VMware-Player*
The terminal says “extracting VMware installer……done
…………..100%
System is up to date, nothing has been modified.

So all looks good but I can’t find VMware-Player anywhere to start it. Before I had an entry in my menu which I clicked and opened VMware but now I have nothing. Even I went to Software Manager and Synaptics Package Manager but there is nothing of VMware.

If you have the time can you please tell me where I can’t find VMware or what happened?

Much appreciated
Hi,

Remember:
My desktop (Host) has: LM 20.1 Cinnamon 4.8.6, Linux Kernel 5.4.0 -96-generic
Processor Intel Core 2Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHzx2
Memory 5.8GB
NVIDIA G84(GeForce 8600 GT)
Your processor does NOT meet the minimum requirements for VMWare Player 14, 15 and 16.
It meets the minimum requirements for VMware Player 12 only.

So:

- If the old (2016) VMware Player 12 can be installed in your Mint 20.3 (based on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS from April 2020), you will be able to use it to install XP Pro.

- If not, VirtualBox requires "recent AMD or Intel processors" with SSE2 (Streaming SIMD Extensions 2) support. To know if your processor supports SSE2, launch the following command in a terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxrzc0
On my computer the output is, at the CPU section:
CPU:
Info: quad core model: Intel Core i7-2670QM bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Sandy Bridge rev: 7
cache: L1: 256 KiB L2: 1024 KiB L3: 6 MiB
Speed (MHz): avg: 2867 high: 2928 min/max: 800/3100 cores: 1: 2804 2: 2928 3: 2920 4: 2902
5: 2817 6: 2866 7: 2816 8: 2883 bogomips: 35119
Flags: avx ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
As you can see, my processor supports SSE2.

- If you cannot install VMware Player 12, and if your processor does not support SSE2, you will not be able to use a virtual machine (last try could be qemu + kvm, but I can't help you with this). You will be let with dual boot... Unless you buy a new computer!

Regards,

MN
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

Thank you Mike, I run the command and attach the cpu section here which I see a "sse2" but in any case from my post of Jan25 on this thread I say that all went fine and VMware 16 was installed but I could not install VISTA 32bit because to my opinion VMware could not accept 32 bit OS. Now I thought if I could re install VMware 16 and try XP-PRO 64 bit it may be accepted. To my knowledge I was not able to install VMware 12. Anyway I don't want to waste your time with more questions because my knowledge in Linux is very limited and there is no need to buy a new PC because I have 3 Windows laptops and the desktop is only used to learn Linux for education purposes.
Much appreciated and enjoy the Mediterranean sea view.
Nicolas

nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~$ inxi -Fxxrzc0
System: Kernel: 5.4.0-96-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 wm: muffin dm: LightDM
Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
Machine: Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P5K3 Deluxe v: Rev 1.xx serial: <filter> BIOS: American Megatrends v: 1014
date: 03/19/2008
CPU: Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 Duo E6850 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Core Merom rev: B L2 cache: 4096 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 12022
Speed: 2004 MHz min/max: 1998/2997 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2004 2: 2004
Graphics: Device-1: NVIDIA G84 [GeForce 8600 GT] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:0402
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: NV84 v: 3.3 Mesa 21.0.3 direct render: Yes
Audio: Device-1: Intel 82801I HD Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 chip ID: 8086:293e
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-96-generic
Network:
Nicolas
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Oskar1224 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:05 am Thank you Mike, I run the command and attach the cpu section here which I see a "sse2" but in any case from my post of Jan25 on this thread I say that all went fine and VMware 16 was installed but I could not install VISTA 32bit because to my opinion VMware could not accept 32 bit OS.
VMware Player 16 can accept Vista, 32 or 64 bits. If you could not install VISTA 32, it is probably because your computer does not match VMware Player 16 minimum hardware requirements
Now I thought if I could re install VMware 16 and try XP-PRO 64 bit it may be accepted. To my knowledge I was not able to install VMware 12.
If you can re-install VMware Player 16, you will be probably also unable to install XP PRO 64, since your computer does not match VMware Player 16 minimum hardware requirements.

In all cases I doubt VMware Player 16, even successfully installed, will work correctly whatever the guest OS, since your computer does not match its minimum hardware requirements. But you can try...
nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~$ inxi -Fxxrzc0
CPU: Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 Duo E6850 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Core Merom rev: B L2 cache: 4096 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 12022
Speed: 2004 MHz min/max: 1998/2997 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2004 2: 2004
Your computer seems compatible with VirtualBox.

Regards,

MN
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

You are right Mike, I do have Virtualbox installed and have VISTA32 on it which runs well except that I have been unable with Vista to access shared folders, USB, DVD Player or Internet so Vista is basically useless and that’s why I decided to try VMware but now I understand my desktop is not capable to run VMware. So I will forget VMware, too bad but I can live without it.

I built that desktop myself as a hobby about 12 years ago with top quality parts at the time and was planning recently to scrap it (been so outdated) but then I thought to install Linux and learn Linux on it and so I gave it a new life. Installing Virtualbox or VMware was part of learning Linux and I did learn from you how to change directories and some new commands on the Terminal so the time spent was not a waste.

Thanks so much for your help
Nicolas
Nicolas
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Oskar1224 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:01 pm You are right Mike, I do have Virtualbox installed and have VISTA32 on it which runs well except that I have been unable with Vista to access shared folders, USB, DVD Player or Internet so Vista is basically useless and that’s why I decided to try VMware but now I understand my desktop is not capable to run VMware. So I will forget VMware, too bad but I can live without it.
Hi,

VirtualBox allows shared folders, DVD, LAN / WAN access. Have you installed:
- VirtualBox extensions in your Linux host?
- And guest additions in your Vista guest?
With these, you should able to do what you want (though, since Vista is obsolete and not maintained, it would not be a good idea to access internet).
I built that desktop myself as a hobby about 12 years ago with top quality parts at the time and was planning recently to scrap it (been so outdated) but then I thought to install Linux and learn Linux on it and so I gave it a new life. Installing Virtualbox or VMware was part of learning Linux and I did learn from you how to change directories and some new commands on the Terminal so the time spent was not a waste.

Thanks so much for your help
Nicolas
It was my pleasure to help you. Linux Mint 20.3 is a fully useful Operating System, and your computer is still usable with it.
Like you, I don't want to scrap computers (mine is 10 years old, and when I will consider it no longer adapted for what I do, I will re-install it and give it for another life with another user).

Regards,

MN
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

Wow Mike you are ahead of me by miles! I’m aware of the guest additions in Vista guest but when I run the program it gets stuck and says “installation aborted”. But now you told me about “VirtualBox extensions in Linux host” I knew nothing about it and perhaps that’s why the guest additions fails.

Where/how do I get the VirtualBox extensions and how do I install them in Linux? If I’m asking too much please just ignore it - no problem at all.

So I gather you are also doing stuff and not only enjoying the views in Nice….I’m retired and so I have lots of free time. In the last quite a few years I built in my garage/workshop 11 CNC Machines after I saw a thread in a forum and this guy documented how he built one. He made it out of wood but I did mine in aluminum plates. Then I got tired of it and now I’m building wooden clocks from plans I buy from a guy in California. I’m in my 3rd clock and I do all parts in wood and they work! In between computers tinkering is my “floating” hobby, when I don’t feel working in the garage I work in PC’s.

Nicolas
Nicolas
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

Now you told me the “secret” Mike I did my part and from this link

Downloads – Oracle VM VirtualBox

I got the extension pack file named

Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.32.vbox-extpack, 11.1MB

……but again I got problems (I think problems like me lately, LOL…)

When I follow instructions I get this message: "Failed to install the extension package, Version mismatch".

I also tried in the Terminal but it’s asking for a “tar” name which I don’t have and I gave up.

My VirtualBox is version 6.1.26_Ubumtu r145957 and VISTA 32bit is installed on it

Nicolas
Nicolas
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

Possible solution: Try Windows 7 32-bit instead of Vista. I run an old CAD program (W95 era) on W7 32-bit. What you are trying to do may actually work.
Attachments
VBoxManager.jpg
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

Have no use for Windows7 but installed XP-PRO in the VirtualBox and have same results, no access to net, usb, shared folders.....

Trying to install again the extension pack 6.1.32 still says “File mismatch” and without this pack I can’t install the Guest Additions so it’s a lost case
Nicolas
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Oskar1224 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:41 pm Have no use for Windows7 but installed XP-PRO in the VirtualBox and have same results, no access to net, usb, shared folders.....

Trying to install again the extension pack 6.1.32 still says “File mismatch” and without this pack I can’t install the Guest Additions so it’s a lost case
Hi,

You might try to install VirtualBox and extension pack from Synaptic or from the Software manager. The version in the repos is not the latest, 6.26, but it is well integrated in Mint, with no risk of missing dependencies.

Regards,

MN
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

Thanks Mike for your time

I discover that my Virtualbox is 6.1.26 and the Extension Package I was trying to install was 6.1.32. I thought a newer version of the Extension Package will be ok but it is not and that’s why I was getting the message “File Mismatch”.

Now I downloaded/installed the Extension Package 6.1.26 and all went good and on the XP-PRO I have now access to Shared Folders but still no USB access but it’s not important. Shared Folders it’s sufficient. On Vista still have no access to anything but that’s ok too, XP-PRO is enough for what I want to do.

Thank you Mike
Nicolas
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Oskar1224 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:20 pm Thanks Mike for your time

I discover that my Virtualbox is 6.1.26 and the Extension Package I was trying to install was 6.1.32. I thought a newer version of the Extension Package will be ok but it is not and that’s why I was getting the message “File Mismatch”.

Now I downloaded/installed the Extension Package 6.1.26 and all went good and on the XP-PRO I have now access to Shared Folders but still no USB access but it’s not important. Shared Folders it’s sufficient. On Vista still have no access to anything but that’s ok too, XP-PRO is enough for what I want to do.

Thank you Mike
Hi,

Have you installed Guest additions in XP Pro?

Regards,

MN
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

Yes I did Mike and all is good but to get USB access there is a list of things to do and I will do when I get some time (not really important since I have access to shared folders)

Also I learn that Virtualbox does not support WiFi but only Ethernet so soon I will move my desktop close to my TV (temporarily) to connect directly to the modem to see what happens

Just installed XP-PRO service pack3 but noticed nothing extra so far (found the link on the web)

Nicolas
Nicolas

Return to “Virtual Machines”