How to Install VMware-Player in Cinnamon

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

How to Install VMware-Player in Cinnamon

Post by Oskar1224 »

In my Cinnamon 20.1 desktop I want to install as a Guest a free version of the VMware-Player where I will Install VISTA 32bit to run some old utilities. I do have a VMware-Player download which runs in my Windows10 laptop (VMware-Player-12.0.0-2985596.exe) but I don’t know if this will be suitable in Cinnamon.

Assuming I will get the right VMware-Player download how do I run an .EXE file in Cinnamon?

If I have to use the terminal what will be the exact command line syntax? I have used the terminal before but I have limited experience with it. Something like this?

cd/downloads/sudo apt install /vmware-player.exe

Please tell me exactly what I should write

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Nicolas
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Re: How to Install VMware-Player in Cinnamon

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

You should 1st download the Linux version of VMware Workstation player from here: https://www.vmware.com/products/worksta ... ation.html
(click on the download link on the right).

You normally get a file with ".bundle" extension in your downloads directory.
With today revision, 16.1.2, it is "VMware-Player-Full-16.2.1-18811642.x86_64.bundle".

Open a terminal in your downloads directory and enter the following command lines (wait for a command line to be executed before to type the following one):

Code: Select all

sudo apt install gcc build-essential -y
export LC_ALL=C
sudo chmod +x VMware-Player*
sudo ./VMware-Player*
The last command launches the installation of VMware Workstation Player.

Once installation is done, you can create or import a virtual machine image (vmx: runtime, vmdk: disk image).

If you create a new virtual machine, don't forget to install VMware tools in the guest.

Regards,

MN
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Sinnis250 »

Thank you both for raising this question and providing the answer, as I have just downloaded the VMWare software myself to find that the file was a .bundle, which was confusing.

I intend to set up and run my own, legal copy, of Windows 7 just for fun.

I want to see how it compares to Virtualbox as I have heard VMWare is a better alternative apparently.

:D
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

MikeNovember wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:48 pm Hi,
Open a terminal in your downloads directory and enter the following command lines (wait for a command line to be executed before to type the following one):

export LC_ALL=C
sudo ./VMware-Player*
Regards, MN
Thank you Mike for the clear answer but I'm not very familiar with the Terminal commands and although I have used the Terminal before successfully I never had to change directory before. How do I change directory in the Terminal? When I type

cd /Downloads I get wrong ..... I forget exactly what it said and I'm not in my desktop right now. Also I typed
cd ~/Downloads and I get again something wrong

I will assume the Terminal opens in my Home directory?

Thank you
Nicolas
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

sudo apt install gcc build-essential –y (DONE but it says already installed, 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove, and 0 not upgraded)

export LC_ALL=C (DONE)

sudo chmod +x VMware-Player* (says cannot access ‘VMware-Player*: No such file or directory)

sudo ./VMware-Player* (says VMware-Player: command not found)

Don’t know if I do something wrong but the above shows what I did and the results
Nicolas
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Oskar1224 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:17 pm
MikeNovember wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:48 pm Hi,

export LC_ALL=C
sudo ./VMware-Player*
Regards, MN
Thank you Mike for the clear answer but I'm not very familiar with the Terminal commands and although I have used the Terminal before successfully I never had to change directory before. How do I change directory in the Terminal? When I type

cd /Downloads I get wrong ..... I forget exactly what it said and I'm not in my desktop right now. Also I typed
cd ~/Downloads and I get again something wrong

I will assume the Terminal opens in my Home directory?

Thank you
Hi,

You can open a terminal in your Downloads directory by two ways:

1st way:

- In your file manager, go to your downloads directory, right click, then "Open a terminal here" (at least it works in caja under Mate)

2nd way:

- Launch a terminal; you are in your home, the prompt is "username@username-computername:/$".

- Then enter the command "ls": it will show the list of files and directories in your home. Copy the name of your downloads directory (with English Mint it should be "Downloads", but I cannot check it, since I have a French version, and in French it is "Téléchargements").

- Then, in the terminal, "cd Downloads" (you can paste the name of your downloads directory).

Installation:

- Now you are in your downloads directory; the prompt is "username@username-computername:~/Downloads$".

- Check that the VMware install program is there; once more type "ls"; in the list of your files you should have "VMware-Player-Full-16.2.1-18811642.x86_64.bundle". [If it is not there, two possibilities: download failed, or file has been downloaded in another directory].

- If VMware install program is in your downloads directory, you can now enter the three commands:

export LC_ALL=C
sudo ./VMware-Player*
Regards,

MN
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

Thank you Mike for the excellent support, this time it worked and although I got a message that “The host CPU does not support the necessary hardware requirements…..” I went ahead and VMware is now installed and have the screen to Create a new Virtual Machine. My intention is to install VISTA 32bit but I will not do so until you answer me about the following:

My desktop (Host) has: LM 20.1 Cinnamon 4.8.6, Linux Kernel 5.4.0 -96-generic
Processor Intel Core 2Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHzx2
Memory 5.8GB
NVIDIA G84(GeForce 8600 GT)

VISTA is 32 bit and I’m not interested in speed or anything, I just want to access some old engineering programs/utilities I made. Is it ok to go ahead and install VISTA? (I have the original DVD)

I still wonder why I can’t change directories in the Terminal. I have searched the web and follow the instructions carefully but with no success. I know very well the Windows CMD prompt and I thought Linux will be the same so when I type cd /home/downloads what I do wrong? Is the Linux Terminal case sensitive?

Much appreciated
Nicolas
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Oskar1224 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:36 pm Thank you Mike for the excellent support, this time it worked and although I got a message that “The host CPU does not support the necessary hardware requirements…..” I went ahead and VMware is now installed and have the screen to Create a new Virtual Machine. My intention is to install VISTA 32bit but I will not do so until you answer me about the following:

My desktop (Host) has: LM 20.1 Cinnamon 4.8.6, Linux Kernel 5.4.0 -96-generic
Processor Intel Core 2Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHzx2
Memory 5.8GB
NVIDIA G84(GeForce 8600 GT)

VISTA is 32 bit and I’m not interested in speed or anything, I just want to access some old engineering programs/utilities I made. Is it ok to go ahead and install VISTA? (I have the original DVD)
Hi,
I think so; you should allow no more than 2.5 GB RAM to your virtual machine, and not execute heavy resources demanding programs.
I still wonder why I can’t change directories in the Terminal. I have searched the web and follow the instructions carefully but with no success. I know very well the Windows CMD prompt and I thought Linux will be the same so when I type cd /home/downloads what I do wrong? Is the Linux Terminal case sensitive?

Much appreciated
When you open a terminal, you are in your home directory "/home/username", where username is your... user name and changes from a computer to another.

"cd /home/downloads" does not work, since the correct path is "/home/username/Downloads": you forgot the username between home and Downloads, and you typed "downloads" instead of "Downloads" and Linux, at the opposite of Windows, is case sensitive (you should respect caps).

From your home "cd /Downloads" does not work, it should be "cd ./Downloads" or "cd ~/Downloads" or "cd Downloads".

You can also type the full path "cd /home/username/Downloads" from anywhere.

Read "cd" command help for its syntax:

cd --help
Regards,

MN
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

Thanks for the info on the Terminal, I will study it

I have the Vista DVD in the desktop dvd player and I went thru the process of accepting the default settings which were correct, the dvd drive is selected, I input the dvd product key but I when I click run it says VMware is suspended. Looking at the web I see this version of VMware does not support any CPU before 2011, mine is from around 2006.

Perhaps there is another VMware version more suitable for my desktop?
Thanks
Nicolas
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

For information Mike I had VISTA installed on the desktop before in an Oracle VirtualDesktop and was working fine including access to DVD drive and shared folders but had no access to Internet despite numerous tries and then I read that VMware it’s a better choice but I didn’t know which VMware was good for me.

I also have VMware in my Lenovo Windows11 laptop and my Asus Windows8.1 laptop both with XP-PRO installed and all working fine.

I tried re installing Vista on VMware but it says the same message ‘Powered Off or Suspended” so it doesn’t even going to install Vista and somehow I believe it doesn’t “like” Vista.
Nicolas
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

Vista is compatible with VMware Player. Go to https://www.vmware.com/resources/compat ... tConfig=16. In the "OS Family name" window, scroll down and you will see Vista.

The message "Powered Off or Suspended" appears normally when you launch the virtual machine, but it is a temporary one: 1st you get the VMware logo, then "Powered Off or suspended" and then Vista boots and you have the traditional Windows logo while booting.

You have here an online guide for installation of guest OS:
https://partnerweb.vmware.com/GOSIG/home.html

And a full online user guide for VMware Workstation Player for Linux:
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Works ... 28A1C.html

Also available as a PDF:
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Works ... -guide.pdf

Basically, to install Vista:
- you define your virtual machine hardware, allocate RAM, video RAM, processor cores,
- you 1st set the boot on a bootbale ISO image, for you is is VISTA install ISO, and you launch your virtual machine
- you install VISTA and shut down VISTA, this shuts down VMware Player
- you launch again VMware Player and edit your virtual machine settings, in order to boot now from the hard disk
- you launch Vista, normally it should boot just after the message Powered Off or suspended"
- then, inside Vista, you install VMware tools (from VMware Player menu).

Regards,

MN
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Oskar1224 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:36 pm Thanks for the info on the Terminal, I will study it

I have the Vista DVD in the desktop dvd player and I went thru the process of accepting the default settings which were correct, the dvd drive is selected, I input the dvd product key but I when I click run it says VMware is suspended. Looking at the web I see this version of VMware does not support any CPU before 2011, mine is from around 2006.

Perhaps there is another VMware version more suitable for my desktop?
Thanks
Hi,
You should need older versions of VMware workstation Player for Linux.

Here are the processor requirements for Version 12:
Supported Processors
The host system must have a 64-bit x86 CPU with 1.3 GHz or faster core speed. Multiprocessor systems are supported.

When you install Workstation Player, the installer performs checks to make sure the host system has a supported processor. You cannot install Workstation Player if the host system does not meet the processor requirements.

Processor Requirements for 64-Bit Guest Operating Systems
The operating system that runs inside a virtual machine is called the guest operating system. To run 64-bit guest operating systems, the host system must have one of the following processors.

An AMD CPU that has segment-limit support in long mode

An Intel CPU that has VT-x support

If you have an Intel CPU that has VT-x support, you must verify that VT-x support is enabled in the host system BIOS. The BIOS settings that must be enabled for VT-x support vary depending on the system vendor. See the VMware knowledge base article at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003944 for information about how to determine if VT-x support is enabled.

When you install a 64-bit operating system, Workstation Player performs checks to make sure the host system has a supported processor. You cannot install a 64-bit operating system if the host system does not meet the processor requirements.

Processor Requirements for Windows 7 Aero Graphics
To support Windows 7 Aero graphics, the host system should have either an Intel Dual Core 2.2 GHz or later CPU or an AMD Athlon 4200+ or later CPU.
VMware Workstation Player 12 is still available:
https://download3.vmware.com/software/w ... _64.bundle

Online user guide:
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Works ... 86500.html

PDF user guide:
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Works ... -guide.pdf

Regards,

MN
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

Thanks Mike for your time and I apologize for the so many questions.

When I was searching for a VMware I was confused, and still I am, because of the so many versions available. What I wanted was a VMware to install in Linux 64Bit but the Guest to be 32Bit because my Guest will be for VISTA 32Bit. My opinion now is the VMware I installed before (ver16) was for both Host and Guest to be 64Bit. I will try now to install the one you just posted (ver12) and hopefully all will be fine.

I will follow the same instruction to install the ver12 as before.

I don’t know how to un install the VMware ver16 so I will just let it be and see what will happen

Thanks
Nicolas
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

Sorry Mike I was not lucky with my new install. The new download is in the Download folder but I get as per attached
Thanks
Attachments
1NFA.jpg
Nicolas
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

You have written "sudo chmode" instead of "sudo chmod"... "chmode" command does not exist, it is what "command not found" means. Be careful!

export LC_ALL=C
sudo ./VMware-Player*
Regards,

MN
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

Apologies Mike and thanks for your time but now I get (the last command was just to try it)

nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~/Downloads$ export LC_ALL=C
nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~/Downloads$ sudo chmod +x VMware-Player*
[sudo] password for nf:       
chmod: cannot access 'VMware-Player*': No such file or directory
nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~/Downloads$ sudo ./VMware-Player*
sudo: ./VMware-Player*: command not found
nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~/Downloads$ 
Nicolas
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

Hey Mike, from the French flag in your name I gather you are in France and it reminds me of a projects I did around 1997 building the new paper mill in Chateau-Thierry. French country side and Paris among the best places in Europe!

Cheers
Nicolas
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Oskar1224 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:07 pm Apologies Mike and thanks for your time but now I get (the last command was just to try it)

[sudo] password for nf:       
nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~/Downloads$ sudo ./VMware-Player*
sudo: ./VMware-Player*: command not found
Hi,

Sorry, the link I gave you for VMware Player 12 was not good (it was for VMware Workstation, the pay version).

Here is the good link: https://download3.vmware.com/software/p ... _64.bundle

So, once downloaded, open a terminal in your Downloads directory and still install by

export LC_ALL=C
sudo ./VMware-Player*
Regards,

MN
Last edited by MikeNovember on Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Oskar1224 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:56 pm Hey Mike, from the French flag in your name I gather you are in France and it reminds me of a projects I did around 1997 building the new paper mill in Chateau-Thierry. French country side and Paris among the best places in Europe!

Cheers
Hi,

I live in Nice, on the French Riviera, and I am frequently in Paris.

Nice is on the Mediterranean Sea, and very close to the ski stations in the South Alps (1 hour and half drive). In winter one can see the snowed mountains and at the same time the sea and the beach!

Regards,

MN
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

Thanks Mike, not success again and dont know if I do something wrong: Please let me know

nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~/Downloads$ sudo =x VMware-Player*
[sudo] password for nf:
sudo: VMware-Player-12.5.6-5528349.x86_64.bundle: command not found
nf@nf-P5K3-Deluxe:~/Downloads$ ./VMware-Player*
Extracting VMware Installer...done.
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "atk-bridge": /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libatspi.so.0: undefined symbol: g_type_add_instance_private

(vmware-installer.py:2442): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",
/usr/share/themes/Mint-Y/gtk-2.0/main.rc:1085: error: unexpected identifier `direction', expected character `}'

(vmware-installer.py:2442): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(vmware-installer.py:2442): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

Nicolas

Return to “Virtual Machines”