Virtualbox - cannot drag a VM window unless move a non-VM window beforehand.

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dorlow
Level 1
Level 1

Virtualbox - cannot drag a VM window unless move a non-VM window beforehand.

Post by dorlow »

Ok, this is a weird one. I'm posting it to the "Desktop & Windows Managers" vs VM forum because, one, I already posted to the virtualbox forum. The forum's consensious is it's not a Virtualbox issue, but a Linux Windown manager issue or OS issue.

When I start a Virtualbox VM, I cannot move the console window unless I move a non-VM window first. Then, after that, I can move the VM around the screen, or to another screen once... until I lift my finger off of the mouse. Then it is stuck in that spot of the window until I move another non-vm window. Really annoying.

I use Linux Mint as my Host OS. I have Windows 10 VMs running in Virtualbox.
Last edited by LockBot on Mon May 01, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Virtualbox - cannot drag a VM window unless move a non-VM window beforehand.

Post by SMG »

dorlow wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:00 pm Ok, this is a weird one. I'm posting it to the "Desktop & Windows Managers" vs VM forum because, one, I already posted to the virtualbox forum.
I have moved your topic to the Virtual Machines forum. Those of us running Linux Mint Cinnamon can not help you with this type of issue because it does not exit for those of us not running VMs.

You might want to check some of the other topics already in the Virtual Machines forum. Maybe someone has already seen a similar issue.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Virtualbox - cannot drag a VM window unless move a non-VM window beforehand.

Post by RIH »

This is not an issue that I would normally suffer from as I always open all my VM guests up full screen.
So, as an experiment, I gave it a try.

It does not happen with my Mint 20.3 Cinnamon host when opening a Windows 11 guest.
I can move the Windows 11 window around the screen, as I like, as often as I like, without touching another Window..
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

Have you got Guest Additions in each VB?
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit+ 10yo Lenovo NAS for backup

Return to “Virtual Machines”