Looking for qemu command line buzzwords

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bgoodwin91006
Level 3
Level 3

Looking for qemu command line buzzwords

Post by bgoodwin91006 »

Hi all,
I've been playing around with qemu. I managed to compile the latest version and it runs installing Windows XP -64. The only problem is there is no audio device and no network. Numerous sites offer instructions on enabling sound and networking but they are all out of date, making reference to things that don't exist anymore. For instance, one site says to use

Code: Select all

qemu-system-x86-64 -audiodev pa,id=snd0
. That is an ancient reference to a /dev device (snd0) that is no longer used. Audio devices in /dev are broken up into separate control, input, and output devices under a single /dev/snd subdirectory.

The official qemu documentation is of little help. It says to use -audiodev device,id=id. It does not say what it means by 'id'. I've looked in /proc at the sound devices, According to that, the id for my built-in audio is PCH but that does not work for qemu.

I was just hoping someone has hit upon the correct buzzwords to fill in the command line entry.

BTW, I already have a Windows XP running in VirtualBox so this is not a big deal. I just want to try out qemu/kvm and if I get it fully operational I'll probably try installing Win10.
Thanks for any information you can offer.
Best regards, Bob G.
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
andy_van_isle
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Looking for qemu command line buzzwords

Post by andy_van_isle »

Hi Bob, Yeah I'm also teaching myself qemu/kvm these last few weeks -- I have XP (32-bit) installed on qemu via virt-manager.
Just to be clear, I installed qemu/kvm with "andy@lm21:~$ sudo apt install qemu-kvm libvirt-clients libvirt-daemon-system bridge-utils virt-manager" which I got from a tutorial, worked fine.
I found "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xnmfqqyq4c" useful plus others that I don't recall the name of (chris-titus-tech?).

I have audio in XP - it was neccesary to set my sound device to AC97, the default was (I think) ICH9, you can access the settings from > View > Details, in the guest window. Also, have you gotten the virtio drivers (from prox-mox?) needed for W10 but I'm not sure if it helps XP, I intentionally do not have XP on-line so haven't sorted the network issue. I have W10 up & running on qemu. virtio drivers are a must.

A caveat: I made the mistake of re-registering (my legit) W10 and after the 3rd(?) time M$ balked and refused me -- something about "... too many devices ... " ho-hummm...

Hope this helps a little or points you in the right direction, cheers, Andy
LM21 Cinnamon. LMDE5
"If it ain't broke, you ain't trying hard enough!" Red Green.

Return to “Virtual Machines”