Mint Debian

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint Debian

Post by randomizer »

shayney wrote:I could have sworn my last play with testing a few weeks ago DID use sudo.
Testing asks you if you want to enable or disable root login during the installation. I assume this also determines whether sudo is used or not.
Craig_Dem
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Craig_Dem »

I also use arch which is rolling release. The only problem I could forsee is an upgrade of system software such as the kernel or xorg. For example, for xorg 1.8, HAL was removed and udev is used instead. Precautions were taken though and everything worked (udev as a dependancy etc). A kernel upgrade could also cause some stuff not to work. But again, can cause more things to work. Thats the only problems I can see with rolling release.
AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core Processor | ATI Radeon X1200 | Arch Linux | Gnome
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | NVIDIA GeForce 9400 | Mac OS X 10.6.4 |
If your question is answered edit your topic title and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of it.
mintnoob
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mintnoob »

It has begun!
Chakra Linux
shayney
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shayney »

dagnammit! I'm really getting into KDE now :(
Think I might have to keep with kubuntu or mint kde until a mint debian kde edition comes along :)
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

I recently got into kde like you, thanks to mint 9 kde...but i think i am ready to come back to gnome again for this...i am very anxious to go debian with a rolling release... :wink:

Probably wouldn't be that hard for me to go back...i never really thought gnome was so "bad looking" as some say...i agree KDE has that extra "pretty touch" but the novelty of that wears off after a while, i noticed...so, mint debian gnome with rolling release, i'm ready for you...that is as soon as the iso is declared "stable" by Clem :lol:

I did discover there are a few kde programs i really love, but i will just port them over to the gnome side...easy enough to do... :)

I agree it is tough once you have start getting accustomed to KDE...of course if this really takes off (which i believe it will) then hopefully, they will offer: gnome 32/64 bit and KDE 32/64 bit....i think the demand will definitely be there for sure...

Question is: can i be patient and wait for that :lol:
mfdemicco
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mfdemicco »

I can't wait until it's released. Will it be as fast as sidux? Also, in sidux, the devs claim that you should only use apt and not any of the GUI package managers because apt is the only one that can keep track of all the changes in a rolling release. Is this an issue with Mint Debian?
shayney
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shayney »

sidux powers that be are VERY adamant about using apt rather than synaptic and others.
Though it has been said that is mainly to do with Sid.
Of course PCLinuxOS is also an up to date rolling release and they recommend using synaptic.
Guess it depends who you consider to be more "expert"?

I personally have too many preferences for certain KDE apps over gnome now so I doubt I will go back and my number one must have app is KDE too - digikam.
deleted

Post by deleted »

I think the only real [potential] problem is with apt-get dist-upgrade from the UI. If you replace/update the kernel, X, gdm/kdm, then some configurations can be locked and fail to update. I installed gdm while kdm was running and it wouldn't update correctly.
-Hinto
Joylove
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Joylove »

the one thing that comes to mind on Debian Mint

a cool and refreshing rolling release :lol:
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

yes...i must admit i have been been pretty much "captured over to the KDE side" by my experience with Mint 9 KDE which does it up so beautifully (darn you, boo!...lol)
So, i guess i will probably have to "sweat it out" until there is a Mint Debian KDE 64 bit version... :wink:

There are a number of KDE programs i really enjoy and it does have that pretty look and so many little nice "touches" i have noticed that makes it rather elegant... and in fact, i am currently using all kde programs with the exception of my favorite newsreader, which is Pan...

If Mint will do a Debian 64 bit with KDE, then i will really be able to have "my cake and it it too"... :mrgreen:
JoeFootball
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JoeFootball »

darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

where to download?
lwrver
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lwrver »

darco wrote:where to download?
That's what I'd like to know also :)
yarrgh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yarrgh »

I believe we have to wait until the official announcement to receive the link to download. Hopefully that will be soon because I'm really excited to try it out
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Patience all. I'm sure this brand new LMDE release (yay!) has to pushed to the servers, the updates set up (bound to be a thousand or so in the first week?), an irc channel set up for all the feedback that's bound to come in as this very first release is bound to have a few bugs (of course it will :mrgreen: ) and all the other loverly chores that have to be done before a new release.

And yeah, I'm salivating in anticipation of getting my grubby paws on this one as well.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
mintnoob
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mintnoob »

Exciting news! Like the idea of not having to do a fresh install all the time!

Silly question, will this be a LiveCD version like all the other versions? I plan on upgrading my hard drive soon, so don't want to install anything new until then.
Chakra Linux
mmesantos1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by mmesantos1 »

mintnoob wrote:Exciting news! Like the idea of not having to do a fresh install all the time!

Silly question, will this be a LiveCD version like all the other versions? I plan on upgrading my hard drive soon, so don't want to install anything new until then.
Yes will have live session though it may be too big an ISO for CD, last ISO was too big and will only fit on DVD. It was 874MB in size. :)
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

mmesantos1 wrote:Yes will have live session though it may be too big an ISO for CD, last ISO was too big and will only fit on DVD. It was 874MB in size. :)
That's O.K. Doesn't matter to me whether I download a big ISO. With a smaller ISO you end up having to download/install a bunch of stuff from the repos anyway. :)
Mint Cinnamon 20
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

I know it is kind of early "in the game" ikey...but do you think that if it works out well that there would be both gnome 32 and 64 bit as well as KDE 32 and 64 bit versions...

I definitely plan to take a look at this gnome release as soon as it's on the mirrors, but that darn boo got me hooked now on kde with his Mint 9 KDE :lol:
So now, i want it ALL...Mint Debian with KDE and 64 bit :mrgreen:
Last edited by craig10x on Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

well, the iso it's already in the usual place:) downloading ...

[ bliss of ignorance ]

Return to “LMDE Archive”