Mint Debian

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
frsu

Re: Mint Debian

Post by frsu »

Unfortunately same problem here with the wireless on my Asus 1000H as with Mint 9. Probably the kernel is the same. And that kernel is not working fine with my Ralink chipset.

First connection goes fast, then it breaks and does not come back anymore, :?
shayney
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shayney »

A major downside for the debian edition is that there is no alsa backports modules like there is in ubuntu/mint.
Without that there is no way to get any sound on my card without going the manual compilation way which I won't.
steveo314
Level 2
Level 2

Post by steveo314 »

LMDE is AWESOME!!! Good job, Clem. Though it isnt your finally spin im running it is still awesome.

@Ikey- Concerning the "Cleaning APT" hang....for now you can get by it by clicking quit and then rebooting
minus the liveDVD/ installDVD.

@shayney- what sound card are you using???
debian or bust
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

I got this while trying to install in VirtualBox 3.2.8; the installer simply hangs. It happened as the partition was scanning the drive right after selecting the keyboard layout:

Code: Select all

mint@mint ~ $ sudo live-installer
** Message: console message: file:///usr/share/live-installer-slideshow/slides/link/prototype.js @988: TypeError: Result of expression 'container' [undefined] is not an object.

** Message: console message: file:///usr/share/live-installer-slideshow/slides/index.html#?locale=en @113: TypeError: Result of expression 'element' [null] is not an object.

Exception in thread live-installer-disk-search:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/threading.py", line 532, in __bootstrap_inner
    self.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/threading.py", line 484, in run
    self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/live-installer/frontend/gtk_interface.py", line 593, in build_partitions
    disk = parted.Disk(device)
  File "<string>", line 2, in __init__
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/parted/decorators.py", line 31, in localeC
    ret = fn(*args, **kwds)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/parted/disk.py", line 51, in __init__
    self.__disk = _ped.Disk(device.getPedDevice())
DiskLabelException: /dev/sda: unrecognised disk label
Let me know if you need any other info.
shayney
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shayney »

steveo314 wrote:@shayney- what sound card are you using???
According to lshw:
5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio
In sound preferences in various distros it is listed as ALC259 (Realtek I believe).

Without alsa backports it won't work and is listed as something else - Intel G45 DEVIBX.

I don't pretend to understand the whole linux audio stuff at all, alsa, pulse etc it all goes above my head but all I do know is that out of the box my soundcard won't work with ANY debian based distro (except ubuntu maverick) but works with EVERY RPM distro.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Am I correct in thinking that what's out there right now is not yet a final release? Could someone please explain?
nadir
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nadir »

shayney wrote:
steveo314 wrote:@shayney- what sound card are you using???
According to lshw:
5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio
In sound preferences in various distros it is listed as ALC259 (Realtek I believe).

Without alsa backports it won't work and is listed as something else - Intel G45 DEVIBX.

I don't pretend to understand the whole linux audio stuff at all, alsa, pulse etc it all goes above my head but all I do know is that out of the box my soundcard won't work with ANY debian based distro (except ubuntu maverick) but works with EVERY RPM distro.
Have a look here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 49#p312248
The way i know stevepusser he usually gives very good advice.
A short search for your sound-card gave some promising links. Good luck.

PS: in the how-to section is also a how-to installing nvidia the debian way (+ the 500 other ways :-) )
nadir
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nadir »

15 minutes remaining for the download to finish. Then i will have a look at it. Good news.
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

if you didn't downloaded the iso present in several mirrors, don't do it now!
Clem is going to make a re-spin to clear that bug in the installer

more info here
http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1518

[ bliss of ignorance ]
Sude
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sude »

Is it normal for apt to update man-db after each package? It's taking forever to install the updates
JoeFootball
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JoeFootball »

MALsPa wrote:Am I correct in thinking that what's out there right now is not yet a final release? Could someone please explain?
http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1518

Joe
ginjabunny
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ginjabunny »

good and bad news here

Good - works fine on my battered old test Dell Latitude D600 laptop :)

Bad - totally unusable on my Toshiba Satellite L30-10V, which is my main laptop, seems to boot sometimes as live and will install but once installed and I logon I just get a screen that fills with horizontal lines and gradually fills the screen and all I can do is switch it off, I have installed it 3 times this morning. The curse of the ATI Radeon Xpress 200M mobile chipset strikes again, maybe it's time to buy a laptop with better supported hardware as this one has been nothing but trouble on the Linux front. :(

On all installs, I had the problem of it not creating the user folder in /home.

Will wait to see if a later version helps with the bad, unless I can find a video driver.

GB
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 »

All set up and working on my machine now and at first glance it looks very good. The only problem I had was the inability to choose where to put grub as part of the install process. The available choices were mbr or nowhere. I had to choose nowhere then install it to the partition from the live cd - a bit of a fiddle, but it worked. I would say that needs some looking at.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

ginjabunny wrote:On all installs, I had the problem of it not creating the user folder in /home.
The source of that problem has been found.
justin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by justin »

@Randomizer - that Virtualbox issue is something being looked at. You can make partitions manually using fdisk or gparted and refresh the installer. They will be detected.

Kinda a pain as a workaround, but yes - known bug and being worked on.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Have played with it in Virtualbox for several hours and have the following comments:
-Sound only works partially (headphones only). Tried all known fixes that worked in Mint Isadora and was unsuccessful.
-Pulseaudio config will not work for me at all - freezes.
-Installed ATI fglrx driver: Only 2D driver available. 3D driver must be compiled from source for kernel (no thanks)
-Virtualbox issues: Were discussed above, I already figured out a workaround (making partition table).

For now I will stick with Mint 9 Isadora - works so nice for me without needing fixes/workarounds and no noticeable bugs. Keep up the good work on LMDE. I guess Debian just doesn't play nice with my hardware. When I upgrade to a newer laptop I'll try again.
Mint MATE 20.1
yarrgh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yarrgh »

I've also notice I don't see the plymouth theme when starting up. Never saw it when I ran the live installer and after I installed. Apparently when clem and the others ran the tests, they succeeded. No such luck for me.
shayney
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shayney »

@ yarrgh
Plymouth (or any splash) is not part of the debian edition at this stage, I believe this is due to clem not being happy with it's problems.
However, I did try installing plymouth myself and it ran fine (on intel hardware).

@nadir
The link you posted regarding my sound card does work, to an extent.
I have tried that method before and certain things work (laptop speakers) and others don't (hdmi output when connected to external TV amongst others, headphone output very crackly).
I could probably work out those issues but it is going against my ultimate aim of an out-of-the-box dekstop without any compiling or adding of repos.
From further reading it seems all my sound issues should be solved in kernels 2.6.33 and upwards which testing doesn't have yet.
Susu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Susu »

Installed it from the "faulty" ISO without any problems. Mint Update freezes when performing the first upgrade, but no problem with that (dpkg --configure -a solved it all). So far I'm quite impressed. Need more time to compile samsung-tools and I'm curious if my toudpad will be supported the way I want. Nice work Clem and all!
At the end of the day, it's what you do, not what you say...
Anonymo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Anonymo »

shayney wrote: @nadir
The link you posted regarding my sound card does work, to an extent.
I have tried that method before and certain things work (laptop speakers) and others don't (hdmi output when connected to external TV amongst others, headphone output very crackly).
I could probably work out those issues but it is going against my ultimate aim of an out-of-the-box dekstop without any compiling or adding of repos.
From further reading it seems all my sound issues should be solved in kernels 2.6.33 and upwards which testing doesn't have yet.
Have you tried OSS for sound, instead of ALSA?

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=52919

Return to “LMDE Archive”