Option 'printer-resolution' has value '(unknown IPP tag)' an

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
aravot
Level 1
Level 1

Option 'printer-resolution' has value '(unknown IPP tag)' an

Post by aravot »

Just installed LMDE after LM 12; and was unable to use HP photosmart-7150 printer. Icon showed "paused" state.
Printer Properties - "photosmart-7150" on localhost showed: Option 'printer-resolution' has value '(unknown IPP tag)' and cannot be edited.

Printing - localhost: When selecting "Printer", "Enabled"... it does not stay enabled.

installed python-cups_1.9.61_amd64.deb [was this a mistake?]

installed duplicate printer & selected it...

Message returned: Stopped - /usr/lib/cups/backend/hp failed

Please advise this newbie -- What must I do to get my printer "un-paused" and printing. :roll:
rlindau
Level 2
Level 2

More - all attempt to print fail under LMDE 201303

Post by rlindau »

Not that it helps - looking for a fix myself - but I hvee the same problem.

With vanilla LMDE 201303 install, no printer works for me (well, I have just two - CUPS-PDF, and a Brother networked printer).

I initially received the "printer resolution has value (unknown IPP tag)" error

After viewing various discussions of the problem (which apparently goes back over a year - viz http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=656640), I also tried installing python-cups_1_9_61_amd64.deb (and therafter python-cups_1.9.61-0.1_amd64, but think it's the same file in actuality) - now I no longer get the unknown IPP tag problem, but all printing attempts now fail with the "Stopped - /usr/lib/cups/backend/hp failed" error.

My system is completely vanilla LMDE 201303 - with the exception of having installed cups-pdf and the python-cups updates above. Printing to my two printers (CUPS-PDF and Brother network printer) both fail, in evidently the same ways.

I hope someone here has more knowledge than me (well, THAT's not much of a hurdle!) and can suggest next steps.

Thanks, Rob L
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: More - all attempt to print fail under LMDE 201303

Post by Monsta »

rlindau wrote:now I no longer get the unknown IPP tag problem, but all printing attempts now fail with the "Stopped - /usr/lib/cups/backend/hp failed" error.
These files -

Code: Select all

/var/log/cups/access_log
/var/log/cups/error_log
may give some hints about what's wrong.
rlindau
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] 'printer-resolution' has value '(unknown IPP tag)'

Post by rlindau »

My thanks to Monsta (who worked me thru analysis / fix) in another thread.

Problem symptoms: Whenever I right-click - properties for a printer, I get an error popup "Option 'printer-resolution' has value '(unknown IPP tag)' and cannot be edited" before the properties display comes up. When I "Print Test Page" from the properties panel, I get an "idle - /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed" printer status, my print job shows as "stopped" in the document print status display, and nothing prints.

Here are the results from Monsta's analysis / guidance
1. The "unknown IPP tag" is just a warning and can be ignored (will presumably go away when an update pack containing a newer python-cups comes out)
2. The print failure was caused by a missing library (not clear why it was missing in the first place). To fix, reinstall the package:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgs9
rpr-nospam
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Option 'printer-resolution' has value '(unknown IPP tag)

Post by rpr-nospam »

On a LMDE 201303 64-bit I also get "Option 'printer-resolution' has value '(unknown IPP tag)' and cannot be edited" error when I open printer properties in system-config-printer.

Reinstalling libgs9 didn't fix the problem.

Debian Bug report #656640 says that we should have a newer version of the python-cups package but it is still available only in the Debian experimental repository.

As a workaround you can manage printers through CUPS web interface: http://localhost:631/

-- rpr.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

rpr-nospam wrote:Reinstalling libgs9 didn't fix the problem.
That's because it fixes another problem, not this one :) See more info here.
Chrisnz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chrisnz »

I too had the similar problem - however - after i installed libgs9 - unplugged printed and rebooted, replugged printer - it worked!? :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”